Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010

doogler is on a distinguished road
Looking for our first boat!

We've been sailing in the "other peoples boat club" for the last 4 years and tis now time to get one of our own. Looking in the 30 to 35 foot range as it must hold the two of us plus 3 teenage girls for weekend trips. Trying to stay near $25K so are looking at older boats. We are currently looking at a Dufour 31, an Endeavour 32 and a 35' Northstar 1500. I know there is a large Endeavour fan club out there...and after having sailed on this 32 I understand the bulletproof seaworthy feeling this heavy duty boat gives. Haven't sailed on the northstar...but expect it to be fast. The Dufour seems to be great in the sailing reputation and build quality, but its a rare bird in North America. Anyway, I was hoping to hear from folks who had owned or sailed any of these boats to get some feedback. Thanks! Doug
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2010
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
What type of sailing are you planning to do? Coastal cruising, blue water? If you are on the Great Lakes and you only plan to sail in those waters, you could get a pretty nice Catalina 30 for $25,000 and it will have plenty of room for the family. If you will be going out in the Atlantic, you will want a heavier-built boat, but for $25,000, you will probably be looking at a mid-1970 model.
Old 07-06-2010

DrB will become famous soon enough
Catalina 30 will be tight for 5....

especially 3 teenage girls. I think 32+ feet is better. Maybe a Catalina 34? My boat would work (Pearson 10M) and could be found for $25K or less easily.

DrB
Old 07-06-2010

GregStreeb is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Deleted as advertising in violation of forum rules.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-06-2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: commercial link
Old 07-07-2010

Thanks for the replies! We are not planning any blue water expeditions. We are sailing in Lake Ontario right now and a longer term dream would be heading down the coastal route to warmer places. But really it is all about the lake now. That said, the weather can come up quick and it is a big lake. So I was interested in a strong boat, but one with a shallower keel. We had a Catalina 30 out for a sail the other day and I have to say I did like the feel of both the Dufour 31 and the Endeavour 32 better than the Catalina. Any thoughts on the Northstar 35 (Hughes 35)?
Old 07-07-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogler View Post
. Any thoughts on the Northstar 35 (Hughes 35)?
Should be plenty around on the Lakes.. severe tumblehome makes for narrower side decks, but some volume midships.. pinched ends make for a smallish cockpit (esp by today's standards, or even compared to the various mid-30 Catalinas). Having ended up with a boat with a smallish cockpit ourselves, it's something I'll be putting more emphasis on next time.

Designed by the venerable S&S team, so the pedigree's OK though they will be 70s/80s IOR influenced and tend towards the larger headsails and skinny main of the era.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-07-2010

When looking at the Northstar I was impressed by the roominess inside and the promise of speed, but I must admit I was scared off by by what I had read about the IOR influenced design issues. Looking into it a bit more I've supposed the reality for our kind of use is that we would never find ourselves in the conditions which caused such designs to be dangerous. Having never sailed on an IOR influenced design though I have no idea of what other issues there might be, hard to handle? uncomfortable motion?? We won't be racing, so comfort and the ability to get where we want to go with enough room on board are the real issues.
Old 07-10-2010

Whitewings2003 is on a distinguished road
Common sense

You may have all ready done this but....

Make a list of what you want in a boat. With five people on the boat are you going to need a shower? Sloop? Cutter (my recomendation)? Ketch? Auto pilot, radar, epirb, depth finder, all of these may not be necessary where you plan to sail but make the list anyway. What do you need/want? We can tell you a lot about boats but we cant tell you what you need. I singlehanded a 38' deep (6ft) full keel boat all over the San Juan and Gulf Island in the northwest. It was an Ingrid 38, I then took her bluewater. We lived aboard for five years with everything a house had but room. What do you need. I dont know the great lakes but do you want a pull up keel? My fiest sailboat was a Chrysler 22 with a pull up keel. We went into a crowded harbor with every place taken to anchor, we pulled up the keel and ran her up on the beach. Worked fine (yes we checked the tides).