SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Oyster 43

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Hotfoot27 
#1 ·
I am looking at a Oyster 43 that is a spartan racing sloop. I don't see much information around on the boat. I wanted to reach out to the vast membership of this forum to find any and all information on this boat.

Here is some brief notes on the boat that I am looking at:

Boat: 1983 Oyster 43
Length: 43
Beam: 14'
Draft 8.5'
Mast: 60' - triple spreaders
Steering: Tiller

I can get rig details from SAILBOAT RIG DIMENSIONS OFFICIAL WEBSITE, but I want to get the boat reviews and what owners and users think of the boat. Any and all pictures of the boats from inside and outside will greatly help.

My goal is to be able to do inter-coastal cruising which this boat can handle easily. I am on the west coast and the 8.5' draft will not be a problem per se.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Since you mention it is a spartan racer, I assume you are referring to the Stephen Jones designed Oyster 43 (not the 435, which wouldn't have 8.5 ft draft anyways).

Designed as an IOR One Tonner (the old 27.5 rating I think), it has a huge fractional rig. Jones came up with a lot of unusual designs (Odd Job, Tumblehome II, etc). These were built in the UK. With the large mainsail and, I suspect, spindly rig, it could be a handfull for cruising.

I sailed on a custom Jones 44 years ago. Huge interior, but nothing to it as it was a racer. Huge butt end and lots of deckspace. I also had a look at an Oyster SJ 30 a few years back. Cool looking boat, but the interior had a distinct "engineered" look to it. In other words, it seemed like engineering trumped functionality. Quarter berths were a nightmare to try to get into. Very narrow settee and pilot berths, 5.5 ft v-berth. I don't know if the 43 is in the same vein or not. There usually several for sale at any one time in the UK, so you could try checking some UK web-sites. Yachtworld usually has a few, but not at the present, although if I recall, they looked like they may have a decent interior. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.