Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010

SeaFever2000 is on a distinguished road
Oyster 43

I am looking at a Oyster 43 that is a spartan racing sloop. I don't see much information around on the boat. I wanted to reach out to the vast membership of this forum to find any and all information on this boat.

Here is some brief notes on the boat that I am looking at:

Boat: 1983 Oyster 43
Length: 43
Beam: 14'
Draft 8.5'
Mast: 60' - triple spreaders
Steering: Tiller

I can get rig details from SAILBOAT RIG DIMENSIONS OFFICIAL WEBSITE, but I want to get the boat reviews and what owners and users think of the boat. Any and all pictures of the boats from inside and outside will greatly help.

My goal is to be able to do inter-coastal cruising which this boat can handle easily. I am on the west coast and the 8.5' draft will not be a problem per se.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2010

Hotfoot27 is on a distinguished road
Oyster 43

Since you mention it is a spartan racer, I assume you are referring to the Stephen Jones designed Oyster 43 (not the 435, which wouldn't have 8.5 ft draft anyways).

Designed as an IOR One Tonner (the old 27.5 rating I think), it has a huge fractional rig. Jones came up with a lot of unusual designs (Odd Job, Tumblehome II, etc). These were built in the UK. With the large mainsail and, I suspect, spindly rig, it could be a handfull for cruising.

I sailed on a custom Jones 44 years ago. Huge interior, but nothing to it as it was a racer. Huge butt end and lots of deckspace. I also had a look at an Oyster SJ 30 a few years back. Cool looking boat, but the interior had a distinct "engineered" look to it. In other words, it seemed like engineering trumped functionality. Quarter berths were a nightmare to try to get into. Very narrow settee and pilot berths, 5.5 ft v-berth. I don't know if the 43 is in the same vein or not. There usually several for sale at any one time in the UK, so you could try checking some UK web-sites. Yachtworld usually has a few, but not at the present, although if I recall, they looked like they may have a decent interior. Sorry I couldn't be of more help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.