Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010

MIeagle is on a distinguished road
Advice for Purchasing First Boat

Hello, I've been lurking on the forums for about a week and soaking up a lot of info. I have finally gotten some money towards purchasing my first sail boat and would like some advice on which to choose. I know the people here are pretty knowledgeable so hopefully some people are familiar with all the boats I am considering. I am mostly a beginner, I've sailed ~20 hours with my uncle and also some in my days in scouts. I am looking for a day sailer.

I am choosing between a 16' prindle cat, 16' hobie cat, and a 1983 16' rebel. Any of the 3 is going to cost about $1100 US and will include a trailer. Thanks so much for any help you can offer, I greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd recommend going with the Rebel, especially if you're looking to move up and sail on larger boats and go cruising. Beach cats, while a lot of fun, aren't really the best boats to learn on. They're way overpowered and a lot of the tactics you need to sail one don't really apply to larger cruising boats very well.

Mind you, this is coming from a multihull sailor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-10-2010

Well the thing is that I don't really plan on moving up anytime soon. I will be using my boat in an inland lake which my family has a cabin on. I thought maybe the thing to go with was the hobie. My reasoning being that I can slow down the cat if need be but I can't really make the rebel go too much faster if it is slow. I'm looking mainly at the hobie 16 and the rebel now. Thankyou for the input!
Old 08-05-2010

kranchroy is on a distinguished road
Be aware of the the real cost and time commitments of being a sailor. The old joke about a boat is a hole in the water you pour money can not be too far sometimes, and even a yacht and can provide great learning experiences for you, your family and friends. We only ask that you do some serious looking at original cost, insurance, interest, fuel and oil, towing, storage, repair, installation of a towing vehicle, accommodation, weekend of food, extra gear , motorcycles, life jackets, licenses and permits, maintenance, etc. also carry the necessary time to gather materials, get water, to participate in water activities, return home, unpack, and boat service.
Old 08-05-2010
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Rebel

Like dog said, a monohull will teach you more of what you need to know than a cat. And when the wind pipes up over 15 or so, will provide you with plenty of thrills, too.
Old 08-05-2010

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciated them in my hunt for the first boat. I picked the rebel and have been able to get it in the water a few times so far. I've been really happy with it so far!
Old 08-08-2010

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
Scrolling down this post I was going to suggest the Hobie, I taught my Wife to sail on our 1981 H16 and it's a hot rod. I was looking at a Prindle when my Wife found the Hobie (I taught her that high grass around boats and old cars is usually a "FOR SALE" sign. We purchased it in 2007 for $500 for a very LIGHTLY used boat with the trailer tires rotted off. We re rigged it including trampoline for a total cost of around $1500. Plus Hobie has a GREAT customer support PLUS lots of aftermarket stuff too...Even for the older boats!

Anyway for anyone else inthe same situation and reading this post...
Attached Thumbnails
Advice for Purchasing First Boat-0908071601.jpg  
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.