Boat recommendations? (C&C 110, Tartan 37, Sabre 36-2) - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parclan View Post
One final comment about a J105 - I almost bought one; came very close. But I just couldn't get over spending that kind of money and not being able to even stand up in it.
... not to mention being a dog in light air if you're sailing with the class jib.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2010

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Here's a link to the J35C

1991 J Boats J 35C Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Good Luck!

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 07-12-2010

StephenMaturin is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the links to boat suggestions. This is great.

Has anyone heard of a Sweden 34? Teak decks are a pain, but it looks fast. I can't really find any PHRF rating for it though. Looks well equipped.

Thank you.
Old 07-12-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenMaturin View Post

Has anyone heard of a Sweden 34? Teak decks are a pain, but it looks fast. I can't really find any PHRF rating for it though. Looks well equipped.

Thank you.
Another very nice and seaworthy fast cruiser that'd be great up here. In a breeze, it should go to windward very well. . Racing? It'd be slow. At some point you'll have to make up your mind what you want. See if you can find a Nordic 34 as well. Only a few built, but nice, and no teak that I can recall. You can do a quick web search for each boat's phrf rating. It's a nice starting point for figuring out if it "looks" and "is" fast or not.

(The J-35c listed seems to be very overpriced for it's general condition and inventory... )
Old 07-12-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
http://www.ussailing.org/phrf/Tool_%...021%202008.pdf

if you go there, there are two swedon 340's listed, all in the 130 range for PHRF, not sure if those are the boats you are looking at. I would put that at the slower end of the cruise race end of things.
Old 07-12-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Stephen, it seems to me that you have to define the kind of boat that you want.

On this thread fast boats are mixed with slow boats. You can win on compensated time with a slow boat, but you have to decide if you want to sail a fast boat, or you want the best boat to win on compensated time, even if it is a slow boat.

Or perhaps you just want a nice and well built boat like the Sweeden 340, that, as blt2ski says, is rated on the 130 range (the bigger the number, the slower the boat).

For comparaison, the Elan 37 (post 15) when in Swallow Draft version, is rated at 78. That one has a racing keel, so it should be at least as fast as a First 36.7, that rates 72.

There is a huge difference in speed between a Sweden (or other medium height sailboats that rate accordingly) and an Elan or a First. They also don't sail the same way.

I am not saying that one is better than the other, but they are completely different sailboats and I am quite sure you will prefere one over the other, even if I don't know which.

Seriously, you should try to sail a modern fast light weight cruiser-racer, like the first 36.7, the J109 or the Elan 37, and an older medium weight boat like the Sweden, or others that were cited on this thread, and I am quite sure that after that you will know what you really want.

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-12-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenMaturin View Post
I have to ask...

Is your user name really your name, or an homage to the late Patrick O'Brian?

Dave
Old 07-12-2010

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
I'd look really carefully at the teak decks on that Sweden 34 before I got real serious about it...

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 07-13-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Key phrase missing
Old 07-13-2010

StephenMaturin is on a distinguished road
Patrick O'Brien

It may be best to stick with a faster cruiser than try and get a slower racer. It'd be nice to straddle the line of racer/cruiser, but it doesn't really seem feasible. Even if I were to get a super quick boat, there are always quicker boats. If I bought a Farr, Express, or J, I'd still get passed by the Mumm or Melges, right? So, why try and buy the fastest boat if, by knowing that I want to do a little cruising, I am ruling out the fastest boats? (It freaks me out to think of sailing a boat without a transom, by the way). Besides, I'm not really going to drop a bunch of cash on the latest kevlar/carbon/angel-hair/gossamer/butterfly and fairy dust sails, so I'm not even going to keep up with the guy in the next slip who belongs to the headsail of the month club even if we sail the same boat.

There it is. I've come to accept it. Sad as it is. I'd rather be comfy than fast.

That being said, the next question is which boat sails best to her PHRF (thanks for the PHRF list by the way... its more inclusive than the ones I've found online). I'll reconvene the original list, but knock off the J, Express, etc. I'll also knock off the Bristol and the Tartan.

That'll leave me with:

C&C 110 (which has a PHRF in the 70's, right?)
Sabre 36 (PHRF 120)

Any other suggestions now that I've come to grips with my true self (my true self not being Stephen Maturin of the Patrick O'Brien series)?

Continued thanks...
Old 07-13-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Cool Finding a Fast Cruiser

Searching for a true racer-cruiser or "performance cruiser" is quite a chore these days. Most vanished from the mainstream production sailing market by the 90's.
Another poster suggested a J35C, and I would second that. I have been aboard a J37C quite a few years ago and liked it too.
You might want to look at the 80's Ericsons, mostly the Bruce King designs but also the very quick E-36 (Ron Holland). All these boats have full teak interiors for cruising.
You might also hunt down a sistership to our Olson 34 (rates phrf 99 down in SF). What with only 39 built, there are seldom any on the market. We have a full cruising interior and good sailing cockpit and deck.

The current crop of boats seem to be an either/or proposition.

Happy hunting.
L

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.