Boat recommendations? (C&C 110, Tartan 37, Sabre 36-2) - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You are tossing out the J's because why? A 35/37 might work well. The bavariia I mentioned is a nice rig for the cost, it is about 3 yrs old? The Bfirst 36.7 is a good one too. The J's sail to there ratings well. The C&C's not to well. The express, also well. A Shock 35 might be another to look at.

The mid 80's C&C's do well, there are some 37'd that seem to do well locally.

Reality is, find something that is reasonably clean, price is what you want to spend, and enjoy the boat. Then figure out how to sail it the best you can, and hopefully win some races.

Marty
Old 07-13-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
I'm mystified... so many great suggestions, and still looking at 2 very different boats, the Sabre and the C&C. Of the two, the 110 is a better bet for what you said you want to do, but honestly, it sounds like you still don't. You need to sail on some of these boats we're talking about. What it sometimes sounds like you want is a boat that sails well to it's rating AND can cruise for a week or a month in the Islands or up to Desolation. And you're asking for the rating of the C&C 110 after someone went to the trouble of linking you to a comprehensive list of phrf ratings for ALL the boats you've asked about. At the risk of rudeness, you HAVE to do some of the work yourself.
The Olson 34, Express 34, Olson 911, J-35, E-37... all sail great, cruise fine, and have excellent track records. The B-36.7 is also a nice boat. We're not talking sport boats, but just for fun, in the PNW the Express 34 and Melges 24 both rate 99. Both have their conditions that they'll win if sailed well. Now which would you rather cruise? Sure, when we raft up with a Swan 44 or Outbound 46 I'm envious of the cruising amenities and really nice interiors (that will get trashed racing), but on a typical race day in the Sound, I'm very happy to sail something lighter, yet still very comfortable. Again, PM me if you want to see and E-34. It's not for sale, but will give you an idea of some basic design ideas of a racer/cruiser. There's also a Frers 33 and Tripp 33, a couple of C&C 34's, a J-36, etc... all close by. ALl that said, if you're looking for a cruiser/racer, well, you've found your Sweden 34. It's a great boat... just not as competitive.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 07-13-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Just a couple of comments FWIW,

The T37 is holding its value well from what I see them listed for on Yacht World, and I don't see that changing much. As it is typical with any brand, the value can be related to the condition of the boat, fortunately most T37 owners take good care of their vessels.

IF you decide to pursue one (sounds like you're leaning towards the performance vs classic lines) you would definitely want to find a fin keel version and not the C/B version. Only a few of the fin keels were built, if I recall correctly, less than 20 of 450 built...sometimes called the T38.

There is an active owners group at Home , combined with resources still available from the factory you can find most anything you would need for the boat.
Old 07-19-2010

StephenMaturin is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Puddinlegs, et. al.,

Thank you again for your suggestions. Mr. Puddinlegs, I hope I haven't offended you with my land-lubberly ignorance and slothful behavior, as I value your well researched and thorough posts.

You guys have been a great help. I'll be sure to let you know what I end up with.

Thanks again,
Adam
Old 07-19-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
not at all! Like most things, the hardest part is choosing between the red and blue pill. It just sounded like you weren't there yet. You've got a good list for both sides of the coin. Let us know what you decide. Either way you're doing to have fun, and that's what it's all about... hokey pokey aside.
Old 07-20-2010

Is anyone going up to race week? I'm heading up tomorrow.

-Adam
Old 07-20-2010

joebigsky is on a distinguished road
Best racer cruiser

I have enjoyed following this thread while actively looking for the same "ideal" as Maturin, my goal being to sail the singlehanded Transpac.

I have flown to Santa Barbara to look at the Farr 1020 "Mar Caballo" and was dissapointed in the condition of the boat. Yes it has been repowered and has a relatively new main, but the overall condition I would rate as a "5", and the life raft needs refitting, the SSB is ancient, and the SSB antenna was hanging willynilly from the backstay. The running lights were taped to the pulpit, the teak deck in the cockpit wants replacement, there is water delamination in the forward bulkhead, loose stanchions, and the interior was filthy. Ridden hard and put away wet. It went to Hawaii in 2006 and has done well in coastal races. The owner was not interested in coming down in price; maybe if you could get it for 45K it would be a reasonable deal.

On the Express 37 in Seattle, I looked at this boat last week as well. I made an offer, and flew out to have a look. The disclosures came in, and it turns out that the boat had a very hard rock hit that almost ripped the keel off, and required extensive repairs to the tune of 25K! This boat is also fairly long in the tooth, but with some elbow grease and creative thinking would be a nice racer. I paid a local racer/broker to do an analyisis of what it would cost to make it so, and the estimate came in at over 70K if the work was all done in a yard. This number does not include the purchase price of the boat. If anyone cares to know, I offered 52K, and they came back at 62K, and once I found out about the grounding decided not to counter.

I have also looked at the J35C in Seattle. It is located in the ship canal near the Ballard Locks. The boat appears neglected in terms of cosmetics (has been on the market since at least March) externally, but the interior is pretty nice. No refrigeration, and the chartplotter and wind instruments want replacement. Sails are old. They are asking 120K, well above any recent similar sales on SOLD BOATS, and 20K above the one listed in New York on Boats.com. The NY boat looks like it has some nice sails, but it would cost 10-12K to get it to the west coast.

I live in Montana and keep a condo in Seattle, and would like a boat there to do a little racing and cruising. If Maturin would consider a partnership, that would be one fast way to save 50% on purchase and expenses.
Old 07-20-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenMaturin View Post
Any other suggestions now that I've come to grips with my true self (my true self not being Stephen Maturin of the Patrick O'Brien series)?
I second the 80's Ericsons. I sail on a 34 similar to this one 1987 Ericson 34-200 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com regularly and they are great boats. Very comfortable and really smart design. They love the light air. The PHRF is around 120.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-20-2010

sailoneroad is on a distinguished road
Since we are all tossing around boat preferences, if I may suggest you take a look at the Sabre 34. She will certainly cost you less than 36, and she may have better upwind performance. Not to mention classic lines...
Old 07-20-2010

Thanks for the suggestions Sailoneroad and Raindog. I'll look into it. I think light air performance is going to be the clincher on any of these, so the Ericson could work out.

Joebigsky, you saved me a ton of time. I checked out the Express and thought the starboard side deck was probably delaminated, but I didn't know about the other issues. I was thinking 55k for that one if it was without issues, but man, 70k of work still to go?!? You also saved me the trouble of going down to Cali to check out Mar Caballo. It sure looks nice in the ad with the new standing rigging and engine, not to mention the sails. I also agree about the ridiculous price on the J35c. I haven't even looked at it for that reason... I mean they aren't even in the right time zone on that price. (To be fair, it does look like they have done some neat stuff with solar panels, etc).

On the subject of price, it seems like the Seattle boats are relatively more expensive than the east coasters, BC, and some of the California boats... is that just my bias, or have other folks noticed this?

Would you recommend any surveyors you have come across?

As for the boat share, it certainly is something to consider, but logistically it probably would be hard (I walk to the marina in Gig Harbor from my house and you'd probably want to keep it close to your marina in Seattle). If we split one, we could get a sweet little J 109.

By the way, the racing up at Whidbey Island today looked like a hell of a lot of fun. Looking at boats after watching that is going to be like going to the grocery store after you haven't eaten all day and standing in the cookie isle.

Thanks again for the help.

-Adam