Boat recommendations? (C&C 110, Tartan 37, Sabre 36-2) - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010

joebigsky is on a distinguished road
best boats

Adam:

Was not sure of your exact location on the Sound. I have been in several partnerships that have worked out quite well, and currently share a whitewater raft, drift boat, and whitewater pontoon in Montana, but have got the sailing bug again. For expensive items that one uses infrequently it certainly makes economic sense. I can walk to the marinas in Lake Union or am a quick bike ride to Shilsole, so yes, I would prefer local access. There seems to be more racing action up that way.

The Farr 1020 needs a lot of expensive work. I looked into bringing it to San Francisco (5K) and having some rigging work done at Swenson's (paint mast, 10K) and sailing the singlehanded society races there. I thought it would be nice to add a sprit, Facnor furling assymetricals, vane, new autopilot (the one it has is a very old tiller pilot), new SSB, satphone, etc, etc, and as with most of these old boat fix-ups, would have a 100+K boat worth about 50K on the market. I was very surprised that the current owner, knowing I was flying in, did not get down there and spiff everything up. He was even there when I looked at the boat, and did not seem too apologetic. There was crap all over the place inside, the galley drawers were filled with garbage, there was water damage in various places (?source), and while it does have engine driven refridge, it only holds a six pack and a sandwich. The owner told me that they stored the food in a large cooler in the salon during the 2006 Hawaii race, with a crew of 5.

The J35c interior is much friendlier, and very clean for age, but I would not make much of the solar panels, as they would be shaded by the main most of the time. It does not take much of a shadow to reduce their effeciency. The 35C in Rochester NY does not look as clean inside. I had the broker take detailed photos that reveal several cracked portlights, and staining, etc. I can't just run out to Rochester to have a look; it would cost 1000 to do so, and the complexities of transport, survey, etc, all done remotely offset any savings.

I have been working with a buyers broker in Seattle who looks after my interests, and I have paid him an hourly rate of 65. when he does a project, such as the Express 37 review. He did not sugarcoat the potential costs. It was money well-spent for me, when time is money. There is another 37 for sale back east. It is totally trashed, but could be had in the mid 20's, according to the broker. He said he thought it had "pimples" rather than blisters, whatever that means.

I was going to look at the J109 in Seattle, but the broker told me it was "a mess" cosmetically, so I did not bother, at 180K. There are a lot of nice boats one can find for 180K.

On another note, one can access both a J109 and 35c through Seattle sailing club, and this would probably be the best option for an intermittent sailor such as me. If you have not tried the boats it is also a place to test drive them without any pressure to buy, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2010

StephenMaturin is on a distinguished road
Joebigsky,

Thanks for the sailing club suggestion. I just called them and they have a J35 and J105 in the club, but not the 35c or 109 (though they are listed for sale on their site). It still sounds like a good option. I'd probably do it if I didn't have to worry about traffic in/out of the city.

Good luck with your search.
Old 07-21-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Now for Something Completely Different

Don't know if you have decided what end of the spectrum you want to buy in yet but if you go towards a fast cruiser let me suggest you research the San Juan 34.

Little older than most that you have mentioned, the last SJs left the factory in 1986. They have a more cruising oriented interior and have circumnavigated solo and short handed. A lot of the later boats were delivered by sea to Southern California from Puget Sound. They rate 117 to 141 depending on prep. Most of the boats rate in the 132 range and are PHRF killers in light air. I sail mine in the Channel Islands where winds are strong most of the time. You can find very clean boats in the 20-30k range.
Old 07-23-2010

Hey Puddinlegs...

I found an Express 34 in NY... I might take you up on your offer to see yours.

-Adam
Old 07-24-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenMaturin View Post
As for the boat share, it certainly is something to consider, but logistically it probably would be hard (I walk to the marina in Gig Harbor from my house and you'd probably want to keep it close to your marina in Seattle). If we split one, we could get a sweet little J 109.
So which marina can you walk to from your house? I'll likely be at Murphy's Landing come September.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2010

Dave,
I live up Soundview... On the tides tavern side of the harbor, up the hill (realistically, its 1.5 - 2 miles from my house, so I'm usually too lazy to walk). I kept my boat at West Shore Marina (the next one over from Murphy's) for a while. Both of them have nice big parking lots and seem to do a good job. Prices have dropped recently too. We should meet up for a beer when you get here.

Back to the crew:

I sailed in the Thursday night beer can race this week again and have decided that I'd like to at least hold out the hope of winning one of these things. I'm going to try to get out on a light displacement boat soon to try and better inform my opinion of what I like. I've really only been on the heavy girls and I need to follow the advice noted previously to get out and try these boats on the water. Having said that, conceptually I'd like to stick with one of the lighter boats recommended by Puddinlegs.

The following boats are on the market and I'd like your input as to which would best:
a. Sail singlehanded
b. Sail well to her PHRF in light air
c. Possibly retain some value (though I realize its a loosing battle)

1987 Farr 1020 in So Cal for 70k. PHRF 117 (Mar Caballo as discussed above. I think I may not need to upgrade as extensively as suggested above).

1987 Express 34 in NY for 70k. PHRF 99. (not as well updated as the Farr, though does have some updated creature comforts)

1984 Kirby 30 in BC for 28k. PHRF 126 as far as I can find on the net as I can't open the PHRF doccument here at work.

Given that the Kirby is almost 1/3 the price of the other boats and that I could relocate her over water, I'm inclined to favor her. Obviously, that could change after I visit and get a survey. Are any of these good or bad for singlehanders or in light air?

Continued thanks,
Adam
Old 07-24-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Do not quote me, but the Kirby 30 may have been a predisisor to the San Juan 30.US sailing lists Kirby 30's at 126-142, ave 132. Reasonably quick boat for 30'. Now looking at the SJ30 ratings they are some 30 secs a mile slower. THen again, the kirby may be lighter built etc than an SJ too!
Old 07-24-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
The SJ30 and the Kirby 30 are both designed by Bruce Kirby but are completely different designs. The Kirby is much lighter and the SJ is a little more cruising oriented.
Old 07-24-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenMaturin View Post
Dave,
I live up Soundview... On the tides tavern side of the harbor, up the hill (realistically, its 1.5 - 2 miles from my house, so I'm usually too lazy to walk). I kept my boat at West Shore Marina (the next one over from Murphy's) for a while. Both of them have nice big parking lots and seem to do a good job. Prices have dropped recently too. We should meet up for a beer when you get here.
If and when I get the boat and get it delivered, we can hook up and maybe go for a sail.

Keep in mind the shipping costs for those CA and NY boats. I got a quote to ship a Catalina 400 (granted a much bigger boat) from SoCal. It was about $5k to ship, not including getting it torn down, then commissioned again up here. Figure another $3k for that if I don't do any of the work myself. Take into account the inevitable unforeseen costs and I am conservatively adding $10k to the price of the boat just to ship. A lighter/smaller boat would be less, but not by a lot.

Add that in, and that Kirby sounds a lot less expensive.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2010

Thanks Dave,

Send me a message when you land up here. Is it the Catalina 400 you're waiting on?

-Adam

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.