SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Olson 34 by Olson?

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  olson34 
#1 ·
Anyone have info as to weight or availability of such a boat. I was once told Olson only made one hull, the rest were made by Ericson.

Any info on the Olson or Ericson/Olson would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

#2 · (Edited)
Lots of information available at Ericsonyachts.org. Look in the specs and docs section.
The Olson designs were originally built (to high quality, I am told) by Pacific Boats. The Olson 34 was their own design, and a close copy of the hull of the Schumacher Espress 34. Design weight was to be 8500#, but only the first hull, which was cored, was this light. From #2 onwards all the Olson 34's were built by Ericson who bought up the tooling for the 911S, the O-34 and the Olson 25 and put them all into production until Ericson went under in late ''90.
I own O-34 #8, built in ''88. It seems to weigh in just about as advertised at 10600#, and, like all the Olson 34''s from #2 onwards has a solid layup hull. The boat is very strong, has a great cruising interior, and is quite fast. I have a review posted here at Sailnet also.

Loren in Portland, OR
(questions: I can be messaged from within the Ericsonyachts.org web site)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.