Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The perfect $100k circumnavigator

For a while it seemed like every other week, someone would come on SailNet asking what is the perfect boat for a circumnavigation in some price range. No matter what the price range there were always all kinds of differing opinions. One of the most commonly requested price ranges was around $100K. This morning I saw this listing for a 1981 Kelly Peterson 46.

While I have not seen the boat, and have no idea what shape she is really in, and based on a specific person's tastes and objectives, they might find her choice of gear as debatable, I thought I would post this link below to her listing in case there is someone thinking to themselves "What would the perfect $100K circumnavigator look like?" (or more precisely what does Jeff_H think is the near perfect $100K circumnavigator look like?) (and for the record I almost never refer to myself in the third person but I could not think of another way to say that and, no, I have no connection to this boat or seller)

1981 Formosa Peterson 46 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-14-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Syntax error
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2010
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Jeff, Capricious was berthed next to us before she left for her cruise. This is indeed, a great cruiser. The family who sailed her lived aboard with a teen age son and a 4 year old girl and had plenty of room for them as well as the occasional guests. For those who are looking for a boat to comfortably accomodate kids, this model certainly fits the bill.
(note- I have no idea what condition this particular boat is in, merely commenting on the livability/space )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our little blog has moved!
Old 07-14-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
For a while it seemed like every other week, someone would come on SailNet asking what is the perfect boat for a circumnavigation in some price range. No matter what the price range there were always all kinds of differing opinions. One of the most commonly requested price ranges was around $100K. This morning I saw this listing for a 1981 Kelly Peterson 46.

While I have not seen the boat, and have no idea what shape she is really in, and based on a specific person's tastes and objectives, they might find her choice of gear as debatable, I thought I would post this link below to her listing in case there is someone thinking to themselves "What would the perfect $100K circumnavigator look like?" (or more precisely what does Jeff_H think is the near perfect $100K circumnavigator look like?) (and for the record I almost never refer to myself in the third person but I could not think of another way to say that and, no, I have no connection to this boat or seller)

1981 Formosa Peterson 46 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Jeff
Okay - I have to steal this one for the Salt's Thread...obviously. Nice work Jeff!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-14-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: syntax error in quote
Old 07-14-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
i think these are just beautiful

Cheoy Lee 48 Perry for Sale

you might be able to get her for a hundo.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 07-14-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
For a family or two couples, where , say, four people can be relied on for crew I'd thoroughly agree with you JH but for a couple alone, I'm not convinced.

There was until a couple of months back a KP46 moored near us and I always though her a handsome boat though I noticed that she rarely if ever went out with just the owners on board.

To my mind the KP46 is a lot of boat for two people to handle and a lot of boat to maintain.

Although a lot more money we've looked at an HR 38, a Moody46 and a VDS44 in recent times. Other than the Moody they are similar concept to the KP46 but just that little bit smaller. These are big boats for their loa. Even the HR is no slip of a thing.

That said, you do say 'circumnavigation' not just a coastal cruiser that may pull into a new port every few days. Those 46' would certainly be nice for the offshore stuff and she obviously has plenty of room for that cat to do the boogaloo.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-14-2010

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
Hmmm....

* Solid fiberglass hull
* 34,000 lb displacement
* Low aspect ratio keel
* SA/D of 15.3
* Wineglass shaped hull sections
* Length to beam ratio of 3.54

Has someone hacked Jeff_H's account?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself. )

Tim
Old 07-14-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp34 View Post
Hmmm....

* Solid fiberglass hull
* 34,000 lb displacement
* Low aspect ratio keel
* SA/D of 15.3
* Wineglass shaped hull sections
* Length to beam ratio of 3.54

Has someone hacked Jeff_H's account?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself. )

Tim
damn, here's a man who is even more cynical than I am.

Suffice it to say that JH did qualify his choice with the $100.000 price tag and there was nothing said about racing this thing around the cans.

Then again, he's married now, thinking of settling down......feet up, fluffy slippers.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-15-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
...To my mind the KP46 is a lot of boat for two people to handle and a lot of boat to maintain.

That's a very nice boat, but I agree with the Cat . That's a 30 year old boat and the maintenance needed to put that boat fit to do a circumnavigation and after that, the annual maintenance, not to speack of the berth prices on marinas, would make it an expensive boat to have and to keep.

I don't mean that the boat is not interesting and at a fair price, only that I don´t think this is the right kind of boat for a guy that want to do a "budget" circumnavigation.

About the handling, I am not sure if I agree with tdw. The sails are not really big and ali lines are run to the cockpit. It all depends on the reefing system, but that you can adapt.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 07-15-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I probably should have been clearer in my earlier post. To start with, I think that a 46 footer is a very big boat for a couple. I personally think that for a long distance cruiser about 10-11,000 lbs per person is a reasonable maximum displacement. My personal preference is even less than that. I should also note, that the original displacement shown for KP-46's was more like 26,000 lbs. Even at the more typically quoted 30,700 lbs displacement, with a waterline length approaching 40 feet that gives the KP-46 an L/D in the 170-220 range which is not all that bad for an offshore capable cruiser (especially if you compare it to something silly like a Hardin 45 which has a 32,000 lb displacement on a 32 foot waterline and so a D/L of 426 )

But more to the point, I also am a firm believer that there are a lot of 'right' solutions to most sailing questions. The boat in question answers the question: "What boat should I buy if I have roughly $100,000 to spend on a boat to take my family around the world? I am looking for a design that has a proven record, solid construction and which will offer a balance mix of good performance, decent seakeeping and motion comfort, and which can be found in a well maintained and upgraded condition within my price range. I am not a fan of lighter displacement craft."

This is not the boat that I would probably buy for myself. If those were my goals, wanted a boat of that general size and I had a bigger budget, I would probably look at something like a J-44 or Farr 44.

But when I think of the folks who come here and ask about moderate to heavy displacement circumnavigators, I would suggest that this would be a very good candidate. What also distinguishes this particular boat is that someone has put a lot of money and care into making the necessary upgrades, long term maintenance and alterations that it takes to make this particular boat pretty ideal for this kind of thing.

And as Andrew (tdw) points out, I qualified this by saying within this price range. As I look at this subject, I think there are heavier displacement type designs in all price ranges that make sense as potential circumnavigators. For example at less than $75K I would normally default to a Tayana 37 and at over $200K I would normally default to the Valiant 40.

Personally, since I have no interest in doing a circumnavigation, none of these boats would make sense for my own use.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-15-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Easy, a boat that costs 60k, and use the extra 40k for re-commission, refit, and repair!