Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
Need Cost-of-Ownership Estimates

I am considering moving up from trailer-sailing and I am looking for cost-of-ownership estimates. I am in the New Hampshire seacoast area but would slip or moor anywhere between Salem MA and Portsmouth NH. Assume a 28-foot, 6,000# displacement lead-keel sloop that draws 4 feet.

I am not considering (in this thread) boat maintenence or upgrades; it is sail-ready now and I've budgeted $2,000 per year just for maintenance and upgrades, I'd do the work myself (which I am good at and enjoy).

I am not looking for yacht club anemities and I don't have to be in marblehead... I just want a place to put the boat, cost is important.

What might I spend for:
- a slip for the sailing season?
- a mooring for the season, and how are launch services paid-for?

I'm attracted to storing the boat at home in the off-season to work on it; how would haul-out, trucking the boat 20-to-40 miles home and setting it on stands, trucking it back to the water in the spring and launching costs compare with simply hauling and winter-storing at a yard?

What other ownership "surprises" are in store?

Many Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2010
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
I'm out of your stompin' grounds, and can't help you directly. But I did want to share something with you: once I amortize my initiation fee, the local yacht club will have the cheapest slips in eleven counties around Knoxville.

So as you search, you might just want to inquire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 07-16-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Myself and a friend store are 29' and 35' at home

The big item is how legal it is in your area as at least here it varys from town to town as to wear the boat may or may not sit

Thee big one time item is the jackstands and blocking i needed 7 stands which ran about 1000 dollars and then of you must put the mast up and down and be able to store it on the boat while its being moved(the mast price is a a BIG X factor in the cost as here it can run between 7 and 15 dollars a foot each way

The truck here cost 400 dollars each way and even through your giving the yard a bunch of money you tend to find yourself low on there list of work compared to there year round boats

When its all said and done the money saved is not that much but its sure nice to have all your tools footsteps away and such a short amount of travle time

If you dont have some firm ground that will be and issue as 8000# will sink

Carrying the mast to the back yard is a real joy

Going form the J24 on a trailor to the Cal 29 on a truck was a massive increase in cost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 07-16-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Here are my costs for a 34-35' sloop...brand new.

$25,000 down payment
$800 per month boat note (I pay a little extra in principal every month)
$0 for dockage (keep it behind my house in fort lauderdale)....but this should be almost $400-$500 a month
$150 per month for insurance...
$70 per month for a bottom diver to keep it clean
$300 per month for "minor upgrades". This months project was new interior LEDs.
$3000 every 2 years for bottom job and any issues that come up. My first haulout, I had keel rust...*ugh*
$5000 every 5 years for new sails.
$7000 every 5 years for new electronics
Old 07-19-2010

Jack Tar is on a distinguished road
Great Bay Marine

Great Bay Marine is about $1200/ year for a mooring but you're about 6 miles from the ocean. Good luck getting a state0owned mooring as waiting lists are about 20 years long. I only have 18 years to go! You could call Great Bay and talk to Pat. She'll give you haul out prices and can probably tell you what the hauling cost should be, too.