Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2003
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Walker Bay RID..Jeff????

Ok Jeff, I have done my research and got some good feedback from others. The new Walker Bay RID is probably not the best looking boat. It does not have the same capacity and stability as my old 10'' Caribe. But it does fall some place between stability and pricing. It runs about 2000 bucks with the performance sail package.

I emailed walker bay for more info. Walker bay sent me a photo of a full grown male standing on the side of the dingy in open water to prove it''s stability.

So now the question. Do you think it will sail well? I am leaning towards an RIB but would love to tow something I could sail around an anchorage with. Something I could use for an early spring or late fall sail before or after my boat is launched. You know those days when you only have a couple of hours to kill but not enough time to get a 30'' boat off-on the mooring. Maybe teach my niece to sail.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Walker Bay RID..Jeff????

Its funny that you ask. Almost everytime I walk into West Marine I eyeball the Walker bay that they have rigged in the store. I think for a cheap as they are, why not have one just to mess about. But I have no idea how well they sail. I have been tempted to see if I can get a sail trial on one.

I have been thinking that when I get the boat shop finished, I will probably design and build a small light sailing dinghy that will stow well on my cabin top. But then again, as light and cheap as the WalkerBays are......Let me know if you can convince West Marine to give you a sail trial.

Best wishes,
Jeff
Old 04-05-2003

GordMay is on a distinguished road
Walker Bay RID..Jeff????

My wife used a Leisure Life "Water Tender" (10''c/w 6HP OMC /w Tiller Extension) for several years (in addition to my Zodiac, which was "crap", and a 13'' Whaler). Maggie loved her "Water Tender" which was a good utilitarian boat - EXCELENT value @ <$500USD!
They are made of Polyethelene, so none of the glues/caulks will bond to them, and ours didn''t have a transome drain - so lots of bailing requ''d.

Suspect that Walker Bay''s "HIMC" hull material may also be PE based (answer anyone???)
The "RID" looks intriguing, allright.
Regards,
Gord

Old 04-07-2003
HANUMAN

Walker Bay RID..Jeff????

Jeff,

The Walker Bay RID 10'' is back ordered at this time so I have not yet even seen one.

West Marine has a very good return policy and the store manager told me if I didn''t like it I could simply return it.

Many people have ngative things to say about West Marine. I have NEVER had a problem returning an item and they always match or beat prices.

If and when the RID come in I will probably buy it and take it for a test ride. If I don''t like the way it sails I should be able to return it.

Thanks for the reply jeff.

Rob
Old 04-11-2003
HANUMAN

Walker Bay RID..Jeff????

I got my chance to see the RID and it seems interesting but i''m still not sold on it. One thing that I disliked was the tow ring, so cheap it was comical.
Old 04-11-2003

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Walker Bay RID..Jeff????

I wonder if they would let you test sail one at one of the in-the-water boat shows?
Old 04-13-2003

KenD is on a distinguished road
Walker Bay RID..Jeff????

I have a 8''walker Bay with the sails it''s a blast,although about two feet short they are reasonably stable. I have rowed it for about a mile or so with the wife in the transom seat on owens pond which opens to the chesapeake and even in the swell it was pretty mannerly. the wife thought it was positively (Monet-ish).
Old 04-23-2003

namaste04 is on a distinguished road
Walker Bay RID..Jeff????

Hi Rob
Blue Water Sailing just did a piece on the WB RID in their "new and noteworthy" column. The author really liked it. I emailed them with another question about it and the author responded: I wanted to know about ease of boarding from the water, as we''ll be cruiisng in the tropics with a 7 year old. He said, eassy, like an inflatable.

It seems really good. Yeah, it''s ugly, but so is an inflatable. We need something that, primarily, can carry the 3 of us and laundry and groceries without getting swamped...plus rown well if the engine conks and we need to set an anchor in rough seas, plus, it sure would be nice for my daughter to learn to sail in a little boat, or to be able to save the gas and sail to town sometimes (or row!).... it really seems to have it all. If we can find deckspace for it, I think we''re gonna do it. I really don''t care about having a planing speed machine.....

Stacey
www.sailnamaste.com
Old 05-25-2003

pjfsail is on a distinguished road
Walker Bay RID..Jeff????

Hi, I have a Walker Bay 8''dingy that came with the 34'' Yorktown we purchased. I haven''t had it in the water yet but have a question from the forum. Why do you suppose Walker Bay, in their advertising, limits the size of the engine to 2 HP? I''ve written to W.B. but have not had a response from them. What if the weight of say a 4 HP was about the same as a 2 HP and a guy or gal kept it throttled back? What then? Peter
Old 05-25-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Walker Bay RID..Jeff????

There are a variety of considerations in setting a HP rating. The rating usually reflects both the structural aspects of carrying a larger HP as well as the safe operating aspects. In terms of the safe operating aspects, the Walker Bay dingies do not have a planning hull. This makes them easier to row and sail but restricts the amount of HP that you can apply before the transom starts to squat. I am assuming that 2 hp was found to be the safe hp with the range of rated loading aboard. I am also assuming that HP rating reflects that the transom is engineered to withstand a certain amount of load and that running a larger HP engine might damage the transom.

Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.