Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2003

tionnausa is on a distinguished road
AMF 2100 Imformation

I just bought a 1980 AMF 2100, I have been unable to find any imformation on this boat, and would greatly appreciate any thing to point me in the right direction. I was reading something about one of the brothers that founded the "J" boats designing her???
I''ve sailed her in light air...pretty fast... and in 35-40 a little over powered with the one reef that''s available. 14" with the retractable 850 lb. centerboard up and 4'' when down. So far, I think I,m going to really enjoy this boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
AMF 2100 Imformation

I believe that the AMF 2100 was actually a hood design but I could be mistake. The 2100''s were AMF''s attempt to come out with a design that was bigger than their board boat line (such as the sunfish) and thier bigger Paceship (PY23 and PY26)line. The 2100''s were not terribly successful. AMF had opted to really try maximize space down below and so they had a lot of freeboard. I''ve only been aboard one at a raft up but she seemed a little tender. With a PHRF rating of 231 they are comparatively fast compared to earlier trailerables like the Catalina 22 but quite slow compared to later trailerables like the Ranger FUN or the Beneteau 210. These would not be boats that I would want to spend much time in 35-40 knot winds in and would expect it a 2100 to be a lot more than "a little over powered with the one reef" in anything much over 20 knots.

Jeff
Old 04-11-2003

AMF 2100 Imformation

JEFF
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY ON THE AMF-2100...
I STILL HAVEN''T FOUND ANY SPECS ON THE BOAT. I WAS HOPING SOME ONE OUT THERE, WHO OWNED ONE, WOULD HAVE SEEN MY PLEA FOR IMFORMATION.
YES, THE BOAT IS LIGHT AND TENDER NOT LIKE THE CT 41 I''VE HAD, THE C&C 35, 29, AND THE GOOD OLE COLUMBIA 26 MK ll I SAILED OUT OF BROOKINGS, OR. FOR 5 YEARS....BUT IT''S LOTS OF FUN !! PS...HAVING ANOTHER REEF PUT INTO THE MAIN....
-*-

-
---
Old 04-18-2003

AMF 2100 Imformation

Calling all sailors---...---...---...!
Imformation needed on my newly purchased AMF 2100...Help..(tionnausa@netscape.net)@
Old 04-24-2003

bobm65 is on a distinguished road
AMF 2100 Imformation

I also own an AMF-2100 and race it on the potomac. I love the boat. It is an old Ted Hood mini-ton, one of the Robins I believe. There is an association with J-boats. Rod and Jeff Jonstone used to work for AMF before J-boats. Rod doodled a little design and tried to get AMF to build it, but they declined. The J bros wound up building it in their back yard and proceded to clean up un eastern Long Island sound. The J''s went off to found J-boats and the ''DOHH''s could be heard all over AMF. I''m not sure that the AMF-24 could have been as popular as the J-24, so maybe it all worked out in the end. In a little bit of irony, after the AMF marine division went out of buisness, J-boats bought the molds for the sunfish from AMF.

I have a copy of the owners manual. It is a bit old and faded. I can try to scan it and send it to you or photo copy it and mail it.

The I,J are identical to a J-22, so headsails and spinakers, used but in good shape are easy to come by. The P dimension is about 4 inches shorter than a J-22 so to use a J mainsail you will either need to pull on alot of cunningham or lower the gooseneck by 4 inches.

The downside of the J-22 sails is that they have a fairly narrow entry since the J-22 has a much narrower waterline beam. The AMF is "a bit wide in the hips".

please let me know if I can provide any more information. Where do you sail yours?

Old 04-26-2003

AMF 2100 Imformation

BOB
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO FILL IN THE BLANKS FOR ME. I WOULD JUST LOVE TO HAVE A COPY OF ANY LITITURE THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE. I''VE NEVER HAD SUCH A PROBLEM FINDING OUT ABOUT A BOAT I''VE PURCHASED. I GUESS THEY DID''NT MAKE VERY MANY OF THESE LITTLE BEASTS. I THINK THE BOAT IS A BLAST TO SAIL....THERE''S A FARR 24 ON THE BAY AND I THINK I CAN GIVE HIM A PRETTY GOOD GO. I''M IN THE PROCESS OF MAKING THE BOAT EASIER TO SINGLE-HAND WITH THE ADDITION OF SOME NEW TOYS.
YOU CAN E-MAIL ME OR SEND INFOMATION TO :
TIM SAWYER
#1 MARINA WAY
EUREKA, CA 95501
I WOULD BE GLAD TO PAY FOR ANY EXPENSE TO YOU! THANKS AGAIN...HAPPY SAILING!
TIM SAWYER/ WHARFINGER, EUREKA PUBLIC MARINA
Old 04-30-2003

AMF 2100 Imformation

Thank you to the two people, Bob and Jeff, that responded to my request for imformation on the AMF 2100.I hope there are more of you out there so that you could also share your knowledge with us.
Tim
Old 05-08-2003

AMF 2100 Imformation

Help....Still need imfo on AMF 2100!

Tionnausa@netscape.net
Thank You...!
Old 05-16-2003

AMF 2100 Imformation

Come on fella''s...some one has toknowsomething more about these boats...
HELP
Old 06-05-2003

AMF 2100 Imformation

bobm65
would love a copy of the manual! will pay any expense to you....Tim Sawyer