SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   New York 36? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/66650-new-york-36-a.html)

SJ34 07-21-2010 09:20 AM

New York 36?

Anybody here have any experience/opinions on the NY36? I can find very little info on these boats besides the builders generic specs.

It was designed by Bill Cook and built by W.D. Schock for the New York Yacht clubs one design racing fleet in the 80's. It looks like it has some IOR influences without the extreme bumping and has a fractional rig.

What is the suitability of this design for coastal cruising on the west coast. West coast cruising means mild seas and wind in the south and heavy/rough seas and strong winds in the north. In the Channel Islands area we have more days over 20kn than under.

We currently cruise with a crew of 4-5 and race with 5-8. The kids will be gone soon so the boat needs to be easily short or single handed.

Next year I plan on doing the Newport to Ensenada race with a smallish crew then doing the Baha Ha Ha cruise with a crew of 2. Does the NY36 require a large crew of rockstars to sail to it's PHRF of 110-114?

Thanks
Shane

JohnRPollard 07-21-2010 02:14 PM

Shane,

These are nice boats and I highly recommend them for one-design or club racing in PHRF. They do require a full sail inventory to meet their potential, but they are a lot of fun and fast when sailed well.

But here's the rub for you: They are best sailed with a crew of 7-8.

A family member owned one that we raced fairly competitively for a number of years on Ches. Bay. We generally did not like to leave the dock with fewer than 6 crew, ideal was 8. We'd happily take 9 if it was blowing. If we KNEW it would be dead air, we could get away with 5.

I double-hand delivered the boat a couple of times (short distances, 50-70 n.m.) These were not relaxing trips. The problem is that the mainsail is huge, and the running backstays are not optional on this boat (they truly support the mast, with the lightweight fixed backstay mostly just for rig tuning.)

I am very reluctant to recommend this boat for short-handed cruising, unless you were to add roller furling and some mainsail handling equipment (furling? lazy jacks?). But if you do that, then the boat won't be competitive for racing.

SJ34 07-21-2010 05:57 PM

Thanks John,

It sounds like the NY36 would be a major departure from my current boat. I like fast boats but it isn't going to be long before I will be short handing most of the time. Unfortunately, it will be a deal killer if I can't simplify the rig without losing performance.

It is a nice looking boat with a good equipment list. My wife particularly likes the atypical interior arrangement with the dinette under the cockpit. To me that was the first clue that there wouldn't be much lounging under way.

Shane

JohnRPollard 07-21-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJ34 (Post 624725)
Thanks John,

It sounds like the NY36 would be a major departure from my current boat. I like fast boats but it isn't going to be long before I will be short handing most of the time. Unfortunately, it will be a deal killer if I can't simplify the rig without losing performance.

It is a nice looking boat with a good equipment list. My wife particularly likes the atypical interior arrangement with the dinette under the cockpit. To me that was the first clue that there wouldn't be much lounging under way.

Shane

Shane,

It really is a neat boat in a lot of respects. The interior is definitely different -- and it works well as a crash pad for crews. It might even be okay for a family in hotter climates, since the open layout is more airy.

It also sails nicely. As I said, with good crew and sails, it will definitely sail to the 114 rating (that's what ours was rated here on Ches. Bay -- may have come down a notch since then). Because of the IOR-influenced hull design, it could get a bit squirrelly in heavy air on the downwind legs under spinnaker -- we had a few scary near-death rolls as I recall. But we also pushed that hull above 14 knots more than once -- not bad for a boat of that size and vintage.

But, alas, my alarm bells went off when you mentioned short-handing it. Having sailed a few thousand miles on one, it's not a boat I'd choose for that purpose.