SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Hans Christian 38 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/66666-hans-christian-38-a.html)

Classic30 07-21-2010 10:14 PM

Hans Christian 38

It's all my fault.. I tried to stop him, but my Dad has just gone and bought a Hans Christian! :eek:

This one.

My folks haven't had a boat in years.. but I guess they saw mine and decided to get something themselves. Perhaps I made all the work I've done look too easy?!? Never mind..

Apparently, this one was bought in the San Fransisco and sailed out here via Tahiti. Except for the varnish, it's in pretty good nick. After the rigging is renewed, the next step is delivery from Melbourne to Brisbane to SimonV's neck of the woods there on the south side in time for the inaugural Family Cruise at Christmas...

It needs a decent name. It's current name is apparently Spanish for "Stork"!!

If there's interest, perhaps I'll post a review a bit later in the year. :)

JohnRPollard 07-21-2010 11:09 PM

Cameron,

Very nice!! Give congrats to your parents.

I'll be interested to hear more as you get some experience with her.

What's the plan for the exterior teak? Leave bare, varnish, cetol? Anything but bare could be a big job.;)

Classic30 07-22-2010 12:27 AM

Thanks, John :)

I think the plan at this stage is leave bare - just renew the varnish on brightwork that needs it..

tdw 07-22-2010 01:16 AM

oh well. An HC is about as close to timber as you can get in 'frozen snot'* eh ?

Frozen snot with a teak deck to boot. Cameron, I'm beginning to think your entire family is a bit odd, not just you. :eek:

Weren't we discussing HCs just the other day ? What did I say ? Hmmm ? Oh what the heck, does no one ever listen to a word I say ? :p

Still and all....congrats to them. I've always thought that the HCs drifted too far towards the mock classic but no one can deny that they are a handsome thing. Essentially a Bob Perry design I believe, for which he was not credited nor paid if I have my facts right. The hull certainly owes a lot to BPs wonderful Baba series which in turn was to some extent inspired by K Aage Nielsen.

Boats for Sale - Yachts for Sale - Used & New Boats @ Yacht Hub Australia & New Zealand

I'm thinking the Hartley Seniors are going to enjoy the hell out of her and I guess on those family cruises, so will you and D.

Needless to say, if they happen to need an extra crewrat for part or all of the trip north you know where to find him. :)

*"It looks like frozen snot".
-L. Francis Herreshoff, looking at a Herreshoff Bullseye built of fiberglass.

MARC2012 07-22-2010 06:53 AM

Nice boat.marc

sailorthom 07-22-2010 07:33 AM

I can't think of any production boat I would feel safer in. Happy sails to you.

remetau 07-22-2010 08:06 AM

Congrats to your Dad. We love our HC 33. You should have him check out and join the owner's association: Hans Christian Owners Association (HCOA)

Classic30 07-22-2010 08:05 PM

Thanks, Remetau - I had no idea there was an owner's association and will pass that on. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 624789)
oh well. An HC is about as close to timber as you can get in 'frozen snot'* eh ?

Yes... wellll.... I don't disagree with you TD - you know that. :rolleyes:

As I mentioned before, it's personal taste.. Some people (most here actually) happen to LIKE frozen snot!

For my part, I suggested he look at a Hallberg-Rassy or two first - but he said he didn't like them. Never mind. This is what he's got and there's no turning back now.

I can kind-of see what he likes in it: The everything-furling and the teak and bronze (never seen so much bronze!) and the cute butterfly hatch..

I don't yet know who's doing the delivery, but if they stop in Sydney on the way up, I'll let you know. :)

Cheers,

tdw 07-22-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 624960)
Thanks, Remetau - I had no idea there was an owner's association and will pass that on. :)

Yes... wellll.... I don't disagree with you TD - you know that. :rolleyes:

As I mentioned before, it's personal taste.. Some people (most here actually) happen to LIKE frozen snot!

For my part, I suggested he look at a Hallberg-Rassy or two first - but he said he didn't like them. Never mind. This is what he's got and there's no turning back now.

I can kind-of see what he likes in it: The everything-furling and the teak and bronze (never seen so much bronze!) and the cute butterfly hatch..

I don't yet know who's doing the delivery, but if they stop in Sydney on the way up, I'll let you know. :)

Cheers,

Yeah, I'd prefer an HR too but they are usually a lot more than the price of that HC.

Hey...name.....Stork...renamed.....Born Again....:laugher:eek::laugher (sorry, yeah I know, that was unforgiveably corny....:o)

Kenif 07-22-2010 08:59 PM

Guys

I'm just off down to Club, does he want me to take it out and give it a good run.
More than happy to take it out weekends etc. :-)

Seriously - nice boat and for Oz nice price.