Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
Hinterhoeller H28 / HR28

I have come across a mid-60s Hinterhoeller H28 (or maybe an HR28, not sure) for not much money that appears to be quite sound. There is VERY little info on these boats on the WWW so I'd love to hear from anyone familiar with them.

I will get a survey done, but before incurring that expense I'm looking for general impressions, strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Our intended use is mostly weekending (one or two nights aboard) for 2; possibly 4 people on occasion with the understanding that mid-60s 28-footers aren't nearly as roomy as newer designs.

In addition to general impressions, I have 2 specific questions.

1. In one ad I've seen for another HR28, it says the decks are not cored, they are solid glass. Can anyone confirm? This makes moot one potential and expensive problem area on such an old boat.

2. There is a cut-out slot in the transom that allows the outboard in the well to be tilted up. Does anyone know if this was original design, or the work of a PO? The slot (to me) seems to expose a large gaping opening into that engine well to a following sea.

Thanks for anything anyone can contribute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I had a friend who had one of these for a few years. Hinterhoeller built good boats throughout his career. He was pleased with his boat and did what he wanted on Lake Ontario. Not sure about the decks but from inside the cabin you should be able to see if it is cored. Look in a locker close to the edge of the deck. If the deck is cored, it will get thinner close to the hull-deck joint where the deck will be solid glass even if most of the deck is cored. If it is constant thickness then it will be solid glass.

I think the cutout was standard. I don't think my friend had any problem with it. I can't remember how high the bridge deck is. If it is high enough a bit of water coming into the cockpit from time to time will not be a problem.

I think these certainly qualify as good old boats so if the price is right ...
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.