LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010
BoatSmith

Boatsmith is on a distinguished road
Expensive compared to what???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2010

nickpapa is on a distinguished road
Hi Boatsmith, are you showing the 36 at the Annapolis show next month?
I would like to see it!
Cheers
Nick
Old 08-23-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
Back in the late 60s as a teenager with ambitions(never realised) to sail the Alantic it was the 28 foot Wharram Tane that appealed both to my "flower power" sentiments ; my pocket and its design and construction concept
Never owned one but occasionally see them about and get tempted.
Would love one of the small day sailer ones particularly when getting my 33 foot ketch out for a day sail!.
Certainly time spent last year in NZ where I saw several in their true environment of the south Pacific rekindled the facination of my youth!
Wharram himself always argued that there was a philosophy involved in his cats-either you like them or loath them.
Old 08-23-2010

nickpapa is on a distinguished road
Hi Boatsmith,
Expensive compared to the Wharrams on sale. At the time I was looking at a recent vintage Pahi 32 for $60k.
Old 08-23-2010
BoatSmith

Wharram himself boarded our Tiki 30 for the first time and remarked to Hanneke, We need more boats built like this. We are frequently asked at boat shows if this is a Wharram knockoff or people will say you know this reminds me of a Wharram. I have not seen a Wharram finished as nicely as ours. Onne van der Wal saw our boat in Miami 2years ago and arranged to use it in The Exumas for a couple of weeks for a vacation with his boys. He can pretty much trade photos for the use of a boat with any builder, he liked ours. What other new 30' catamaran can you buy for 100k? Sure we cost more than most other Wharrams, we should dagnabit. There are many used Wwharrams floating around for 10-30k but not ones you are going to be proud to show off to your friends.
Old 08-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that many of the earlier Wharrams were home-built and as such often had flaws due to the deficiencies in their construction rather than their design. I've sailed on a few of the Wharrams and agree that they're not as weatherly as some other designs, and Wharram's designs tend to be less rigid than other catamaran designs, and as such can have problems related to the lack of rigidity.

I do not have any experience with the Boatsmith built Tiki 36s. But, I would point out that the open bridgedeck design tends to leave anyone helming the boat for any period of time in bad weather, relatively exposed and uncomfortable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2010
BoatSmith

Many early Wharrams are very flexible vessels. This is in part due to design and also to lack of building and rigging finesse and lack of maintenance. Wharram's newer designs are lashed together. This technique applied with diligence and modern ropes will yield a much more rigid structure. Part of Wharram's design philosophy is that a minute amount of flexibility in the beam to hull connection serves to absorb the intense shock loading inherent at these connections. Indeed if you look at a boat with aluminum cross tubes it is very common to see stress cracks and repairs.
The open bridge deck boat certainly does leave a helmsman exposed, which over time in inclement weather can be both uncomfortable and dangerous. Much like many small monohulls.
On the Tiki 36 we addressed this issue by adding a windscreen and roll down curtain/windows for the helm station.
Old 08-25-2010

islandman2 is on a distinguished road
Say what you will about Wharram catamarans, but show me another multihull design with the proven seaworthiness of his Tiki range. Nothing comes close to the number of ocean passages successfully completed in these simple boats. Even the Tiki 21, which James Wharram never intended as an offshore voyager, has circumnavigated. And the same boat, again sailed by Rory McDougall, just completed a double trans-Atlantic this summer, the first leg over as part of the Jester Challenge, and return to England just for the hell of it and to take the boat back home.

Needless to say, the larger Tikis are simply as seaworthy or more so than the Tiki 21. Many Tiki 26's have crossed the Atlantic, as have Tiki 30's and of course the larger Tiki 38, Tiki 46 and so on. These passages were not stunts, nor were they completed because of "luck." People who build and sail these designs tend to be out there living the voyaging life and going wherever they please, rather than debating the merits of boat design on Internet forums.

I have sailed the Boatsmith Tiki 30, including a delivery trip to Nassau last summer. David has raised the bar on these designs without a doubt, showing what's possible when a great design is built to exacting standards by professionals using state orf the art materials and technologies. Sure there are some ratty home-built Wharrams out there. Many people who build these boats have no idea what they're getting into and lack the skill and the funds to build them to a high standard. Yet, the designs are so forgiving they still manage to build them and often sail them far.

As for the overall appeal of the designs, as Wharram himself said, you either love them or hate them. I happen to love them because I know what they can do and I think they look really cool anchored in a tropical lagoon or pulled up on the beach somewhere.
Old 08-30-2010

grmitche is on a distinguished road
We had our first family cruise this summer on our Contour 34 - and while it was great - the appeal of something like the rigid deck of the wharram would have been even better. I've not sailed one - and am a bit concerned about the possibility of pitching given the pinched ends, so I lean a bit more towards Richard Woods' designs.

Assuming the next couple of years are as successful as this years cruise, I'd expect that we'd be looking for something like this boat in 2-3 years time. I think a boat like this one would be ideal.
Old 08-31-2010
BoatSmith

C'mon down and go for a sail grmitche