Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010

wannabe4 is on a distinguished road
Ericson 38-blue water boat?

After a very bad experience with a very dishonest vendor who tried to flog his POS Ty 37 onto me I am back looking at potential boats for coastal cruising but that are also blue water capable.

A seller has just contacted me and advised his 1986 deep keel, E 38-200 has been substantially reduced in price. I really like the E 38-200 but I am concerned the construction is a bit light duty for the rigors of true blue water sailing. I don't want to be the owner of a boat that is restricted to coastal cruising or is at risk in rough weather.

Can anyone out there speak to this? Have any circumnavigated? Weak spots in construction? How about the spade rudder?

Your thoughts and comments are very appreciated. Best regards!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Ericsons were generally well built boats and the 38 is a very nice sailing yacht but, having sailed aboard one of the boats several times, I think you will find that storage capacity is somewhat limited for truely long term cruising.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-01-2010

HyLyte,

Thanks for the response Hylyte, its appreciated. Perhaps for a singlehander or a 2 person crew there would be enough load capacity? Any thoughts?
Old 08-01-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I remember seeing one where a liveaboard couple had converted one of the quarterberths to storage with a slideout base and partions.
Old 08-01-2010

Thanks TQA. I should add/clarify that the boat would initially be used as a coastal cruiser up and down the coast of Mexico. I may never go much further but it would be nice to have a boat capable if I ever decide to cross an ocean. From the reading I have done online they seem to be capable of crossing oceans and have done so many times but obviously their intended purpose was coastal cruising.

I think they have an outstanding interior layout with the head and spearate shower on the aft, starboard side. Guests could either sleep in the the double salon berth or the aft port side double. All in all the E 38-200 would be a fine coastal cruiser very capable of of some limited offshore cruising. Maybe even long term offshore cruising if set up correctly.
Old 08-02-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
There is a Member on the board, SimonV. Who bought his E38 in San Francisco and sailed it back to Australia. He would be the best person to contact to answer your question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe4 View Post
HyLyte,

Thanks for the response Hylyte, its appreciated. Perhaps for a singlehander or a 2 person crew there would be enough load capacity? Any thoughts?
Wannabe- My observation was/is based upon a few daysails only and may not be particularly valid. I just recall that the yacht did not seem to have much storage capacity and I only recall that because it was a subject of discussion between my wife and I on our way home afterwards. She, of course, drags everything under the sun along when we travel and noted that she'd have no where to put half of her "things" with which I agreed although I did point out that a few less "things" might be appropriate which led to a whole other discussion. In any case, the yacht sailed, and handled, very well albeit our trips were only between Alamitos Bay and, at the most, Angel's Gate near San Pedro.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-02-2010

imiloa is on a distinguished road
Ericson 38

I know of at least one Ericson 38 that did a circumnavigation some years ago (Maverick was the boat name IIRC). In any case you should post your questions to the Ericson Owners web site which is a great resource visited by Ericson owners, former employees, and those with direct connection to the yacht designers. I'm sure you can get answers to all your questions there. EY.o Information Exchange - Powered by vBulletin
Old 08-02-2010

As always you guys are awesome! Many thanks!

I have looked at the Ericson owners website and found some very interesting information. As I mentioned yesterday, I think they make a quality coastal cruiser capable of offshore sailing with some modeifications and/or compromises. I think they would do very well sailing the Mexican west coast.

Some of you may recall a family from Vancouver named Copeland who circumnavigated in their 1980's Beneteau First 38. I've been on those boats and I don't imagine they would have any more space or structural strength that an E38. Perhaps I'm wrong. The B 38 also had a spade rudder with a similiar PHRF rating.

Cheers!
Old 08-05-2010

kranchroy is on a distinguished road
If you do not know Ericsson are fairly well built, better than the average coastal cruiser style of the time. Very rigid construction with a grid system to distribute the loads. They were designed by Bruce King has the typical IOR affected the hull in the early 80s. My boat is in very good condition and I continued to repair or replacement / upgrade for the preparation. The rudder suspended for me is a non-issue. Many people cruise ships designed this way. Yes, you are more likely to damage the rudder in a collision. Thats the way things are..