Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010

mistershoes is on a distinguished road
What is this boat?

I've found what is supposedly a 21ft O'day for $50. But as far as I know (i'm new to sailing) O'day didn't make a 21ft sailboat. Here are a couple pics. Also, do you think it's worth picking up?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
What is this boat?-mystery-boat-2.jpg   What is this boat?-mystery-boat.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Looks like an oday, look here for oday info. I did not see that model listed, but then again, O'day made many varieties of boats.

Marty
Old 08-03-2010

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Nothing so expensive as a free boat...

I would take a close (and honest) look at what it would take to make her seaworthy - how is the mast, boom, rigging (standing and running), sails, rudder, tiller, hull, anchor, etc etc. Remember a block can cost $50, and you could need half a dozen - marine paints and varnished are really expensive - so think through everything you'll need to buy to make her shipshape.

Now make a shopping list; use the web to price things up, then add 25% (at least, because there is always the unexpected).

Now estimate the time it'll take you to fix her up, and add at least 50% to that (believe me, it'll be around double what you guess).

Now look at how much it will really cost you, and how much time...then make the call. I restored a boat in a similar condition - it was a labor of love, and I loved doing it - but jump in with your eyes open because it'll probably be a slow and expensive process!

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
That is an Oday Mariner. The Mariner was an 'overnighter' version of the Rhodes 19. They were moderately popular in the mid- 1960's. They sail reasonably well, especially the fin keel version such as this. They were reasonably well constructed for thier day. Some had self-bailing cockpist while other had cockpit grates like the Rhodes 19 and featured full floatation.

The big issues would be the condition of the sails, outboard motor, keel bolts and hull to deck joint, as the rest of the boat was so simple that it unlikely that anything that is wildly expensive to repair.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 08-03-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
And if the keel is lead it's worth way more than $50.
Old 08-03-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Mariner

Looks like 3300 of them were made from 1960-1980.

Lead keel, could be a fun boat, if it does not need new everything! Otherwise, you could find yourself into the thing n the $10K range with sails, motor, cushions etc.

Marty
Old 08-03-2010

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
biggest issue is what comes with it, and how much work you want and are able to do on it.

For $50 I would pick it up and take my time getting her ready for water. it's a small boat, so would be inexpensive to gut and rebuild if that's what you wanted to do.

Critical points to consider are your own abilities and knowledge to do what will need to be done on it. If you have the ability and room to work it can be a very rewarding project, (won't say cheap) if you have no room and have to pay labor to get it going, you'll have enough to buy a couple ready to sail boats wrapped up in it.

Agree with Jeff, it's a small, uncomplicated boat so it would be unlikely to have any complicated and expensive components.

What makes ''project boats" a losing proposition for many is that a lot of people think they need to upgrade everything with top shelf equipment, so when rebuilding, they include all the upgrades and improvements into the cost of the repair. Upgrades are not repairs, and you would have the same expense if you were to buy a ready to sail boat and wanted to install them.