SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Single vs Double Spreader

22K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  SchockT 
#1 ·
I am considering a new(to me) boat and partway through it's production(still being made) it went from a single spreader rig to a double spreader rig. The location of the chainplates and genoa tracks remained the same. It was explained to me that they simply changed spar manufacturers and that size happened to be a double spreader rig with the new builder.

What are the pro/cons of either rig?

BTW, the boat is a Caliber 40lrc.

#31 ·
I am surprised that a single spreader rig is even offered for a 40ft boat!

Double spreader makes a rig both lighter and stronger, particularly on taller masts. It makes the mast more tunable, albeit more complicated. Being able to shorten the spreaders and move the chainplates inboard is an advantage for racing, but if you keep the chain plates outboard you get a very strong, light rig.

I don't think the advantage offered by the weight savings should be discounted if you are not a racer. Certainly racers go to great lengths to minimize lofted weight, even going so far as to taper halyards so you don't have the weight of the rope cover in the mast. The reason they do that is that there is significant performance to be gained. Having lower lofted weight means that you will carry less heel in a given wind speed vs a heavier mast. Even 20lbs extra weight makes a huge difference when it is amplified by a 50' lever arm.

If the double spreader rig is just as strong, but lighter why wouldn't you want it?

I understand the appeal of in-mast furling, particularly on bigger boats, but there are too many compromises for me. The lost sail area and sail shape are top of my list because I sail in light wind a lot. Whatever works for you!

I have lazy jacks and stack pack, with single line reefing. It takes a couple of minutes to put in a reef without leaving the cockpit.

We do have an electric halyard winch, which is really nice, although I consider it more luxury than necessity. I can still get the main most of the way up without a winch, but that will likely change as I get older! You have to be really careful with the electric winch. A sailmaker friend told me that he sees a lot of damaged sails caused by careless use of power winches.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.