Old 09-02-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Brak,

Looks nice, congrats!

Is it a 24?
Yes, it is an F-24 mk1. It's a slightly older one (1993 built) - but I like it all the same. Getting myself morally ready to sail real fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats Brak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-05-2010
BoatSmith

Boatsmith is on a distinguished road
Right on
Old 12-26-2010

Nacra52 is on a distinguished road
A friend bought one and loved it. Sailed it on the Columbia river. F-24 MkII I believe. He was also a glider pilot. Sweet boat, nothing else really like it. Almost as fast as a big beach cat, but able to be taken further from shore. But you'll want a wet suit to sail it.
Old 12-26-2010

dmurray is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on your purchase. They are really incredible boats and once you gain some confidence with it, tons of fun. I didn't read the entire thread but expect that by now you have figured out or experienced the key features of the boat. Try the Corsair 242 forum where there is lots of owner expertise.

I have a 2005 MkII, which although somewhat different in many respects, is largely the same sailing experience. Let me know if you have any questions about sailing or maintaining your boat. Happy to try to answer them.

I will make a significant life transition to retirement in the next six months and plan to move from he Caribbean back to NA where my sailing will be focused on living aboard my CS30 part time. My Corsair 242 is now for sale.

Doug
Old 12-26-2010

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Now Brak if she doesn't have a spinnaker get one...My F31 used to almost literally fly when we popped the 1000 sq ft spinnaker.

When I quit cruising, about age 80, the first thing I am going to do is buy another Corsair, but it will not be a heavy rotating aluminum mast on a F31... raising and lowering that was far more frightening than the 1000 sq ft spinnaker in 15-20 knots of wind.

Enjoy Phil
Old 10-09-2014

Colorado Gypsy is on a distinguished road
Re: Corsair F-24

Hello all- Thought I'd revive this old thread as I bought a F-24 mk, and read this thread many times before doing so. A few observations:

1) Like all have said, it's not a wet boat unless going over 10 knots. Most of the time people can hang out on the nets and soak in the sun, even on the downwind side! Many passengers appreciate the lack of heeling too (that is indeed offset by the wetness in big chop but I just don't take certain folks out in big chop anyway).

2) Man I love being able to bring it into shore- it would be a pain ferrying people out to the mooring where I have it.

3) I love all the outside room that the large cockpit and nets provide. I mostly daysail with occasional overnight and it's perfect for that. The smaller cabin would be an issue for multiday sails where you want to be inside a lot, but I don't.

4) I love being able to go nearly as fast as the wind- easy to do 8-9 knots in light to moderate wind where not yet whitecapping. Reef conservatively and heavy winds will not cause you any risk of capsizing. The ability to go out when winds and seas are low and still cruise right along at a good clip is key!

5) I chose the mk-I over mk-II or 750 not just because of price (ok I probably would take a newer 750 if price were close!), but because: 1) it has a larger cockpit/smaller & shorter cabin than the mk-II- easy to see over the cabin from the cockpit without goosenecking! 2) it has a centerboard instead of a daggerboard- wouldn't be as good for racing where eaking out every .1 knot counts but I don't care about that, and I like the security of knowing it could bounce up if I did hit something.

6) The 24 is a good single handed boat- perhaps especially since you can lift the rudder and steer with the motor (that mounts on the transom) from the cabin- that's how I come into the beach each time.

Anyway, zero regrets of getting this boat vs a monohull- would do it again in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.