Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010

jim2553 is on a distinguished road
@bljones, oh, interesting, I did a quick search yesterday and saw one in TX for about $50k and decided that I couldn't handle it. Budget is in that 10-15k range. I will keep my eye out for a Hawke Seaward, they are beautiful!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
jim,

1994 Seaward Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 08-16-2010

charliebelting is on a distinguished road
Hey Jim , For the heck out it, I just bought a Hunter 25. It is on a trailer and I dont know much about sailing. If you want to hook up with me some time in colorado on blue mesa Lake. I will get it down there and you could help show me how to sail. Bring the family too.
I am in Colorado near telluride. I dont even have a truck to haul the thing yet.
Charlie
Old 08-16-2010

@bljones - that is a beauty! For some reason the Hake Seaward really speaks to me.

@Charlie - I bet we would get along very well. That is what I call jumping in with both feet. You will want to get someone with a reasonably big truck to help you get it out this fall. I love the Hunter 25 cabin layout, it looks very comfortable to me ( I have never been in one so this is just what I have seen with pictures ). I would suggest getting and reading "Learn to Sail" by Denis Conner. It won't teach you some practical things like how to step your mast or how to get a wing-keel boat successfully onto a trailer. I am a big proponent of the self taught method and IMO you can do this if you are careful.

For me careful is all about not going out in too big of water. That is, if the wind is blowing 8-12 knots then you can learn alot pretty safely. If it is blowing 15+, get some beer and enjoy your cabin.

When we were learning, I was more freaked out about; launching, retrieving, motoring in and out of our slip. Once on the water it seemed a bit less crazy.

I doubt we can make it to Colorado this fall, everyone in my family has started school ( wife teaches ) and it is too much of a trip for a weekend.

There is a pretty active yacht in Littleton on Chatfield Reservoir, I bet you could pickup some instruction there if you wanted. Colorado Sail & Yacht Club is their web address. We bought our first boat from a couple there. The lake isn't that big but we had a big time on it even as rookies. ( which I still consider myself to be ).
Old 08-16-2010

thewindbehind is on a distinguished road
I just bouht a 1984 Pearson Triton 25. The boat was advertised as a Pearson 26 but closer inspection revealed it to be the Triton 25 (Buccaneer/US Yachts version). I was wondering what your opinions on the boat are. it is my first boat for me, my wife, and my two kids - ages 1 and 3. I was excited about it being a Pearson 26 because there have been so many built so the resources and reputation seem great. I just don't know anything about the Buccaneer style Triton 25.
Thanks
Old 08-16-2010

@thewindbehind I don't know anything about Pearsons but I am sure someone knowledgeable will chime in. There are tons of bright people who read the forums.

The research I have done shows that the Triton 25 has been made by Pearson since 1984. The original molds were apparently made by Bayliner, sold to US Yachts, sold to Pearson. I got this from TRITON 25 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com.

From my perspective this looks like a fun, solid boat. I think you and your wife are smart to get a good sized cabin.
Old 08-21-2010

AlpineSailor is on a distinguished road
S2 6.9
Read Bob P's review in the boat reviews section, very well written.
I have the 6.7 which is a lighter more bare bones version of this boat.
It's a great sailor, and as easer to trailer then about any boat out there of it's size. The boat sits as low on it's trailer as a powerboat due to it's retracting lead daggerboard.
Old 08-25-2010

TomatoDave is on a distinguished road
Seaward 24 for sale you might like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2553 View Post
@bljones, oh, interesting, I did a quick search yesterday and saw one in TX for about $50k and decided that I couldn't handle it. Budget is in that 10-15k range. I will keep my eye out for a Hawke Seaward, they are beautiful!
I also really like Sewards and have looked all over for them. One was for sale in SD that might interest you. It was on ebay but got no bids. The mast was knocked off in a storm and the owner replaced it with another, Chrysler 22, I think, so It's a little shorter, but the price is right $4500. I talked with owner but too far a drive. It might be worth a drive if still for sale. I can't post a link because I've only posted 1 previous post.
Old 08-25-2010

Link for Seaward 24

Now that I've posted 2 posts, I think I can post link:

Hake Yacht Seaward Sailboat 1987 24 With Nissan Motor | Yacht Bidz - The Source for Yacht Sales
Old 08-25-2010

Seward forum

And there is a dedicated Seaward forum that could answer specific questions you might have. Google "Seaward trailer sailor" and you'll find it.