SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking for Trailerable Boats to Consider

11K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Sternik 
#1 ·
I am researching what boat I would like to get for my family. I have some sailing experience but to be honest we are strictly small time operators. Living in the middle of the U.S. we just don't have a lot of big water that is close enough for weekending.

Our previous boat was a catalina-18. We loved it and had a great time getting our feet wet with it. A move and teenagers prompted its sale. Now that they are moving off to college it is time to get back into it.

We are likely going to get a slip at a nearby 12,000 acre lake and the trailering will be limited to special events (longer vacations).

The most important things to us are:

1) Cabin size, the catalina-18 was way too small and we couldn't fit much of our family on it without running over each other.
2) Shallow water capable, swing keel or wing
3) Lower weight so I can pull it with my honda pilot (4500lbs limit)

The following boats have piqued my interest:

West Wight Potter 19
Catalina 22
Catalina 250 (water ballast)
MacGreagor 26x

I just can't help but think that I am missing a great number of very nice boats. Anyone have other ideas?

See less See more
#34 ·
The Telstar is hull #340.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.