Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010

zboss is on a distinguished road
Flaking a Mizzen

Hello,

I am currently shopping around for a boat - I am quite a ways off from an actual purchase - and I have been looking at ketch boats because of the advantages a ketch plan affords.

However, I have never sailed a ketch before. I am curious - how do you properly flake and tie a mizzen with half the sail sticking off the stern? I imagine that doing so at sea could be fairly hazardous and present issues with MOB.

Thanks!

zboss
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2010

jcalvinmarks is on a distinguished road
Having never sailed, owned, or been within 2,000 feet of a ketch, I'll go ahead and proffer my dangerously unqualified and amateur opinion ...

Lazy jacks would probably help in this area. In-mast or on-mast roller furling would also make it easier, but that's a whole other can of worms.

But I'll be anxious to hear what others have to say on the matter.
Old 08-11-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
I think you mean a yawl with the mast aft of the rudder post. Most of the ketch that I have seen, do not have their masts hanging over the transom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-11-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Having sailed on quite a few ketches, the mizzen boom generally does overhand the transom but there is often a boomkin (aft facing bowsprit) to balance on while reefing or flaking the sail.

The fact that it is hard to properly stay a mizzen mast, and it is hard to flake or handle or get a proper sheet lead angles on a mizzen sail, is one of the reasons that the Ketch rig is largely a anachronistic sail plan, which retains almost no real advantages in a world where better hardware, materials and methods allow more efficient and easily handled rigs.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 08-11-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I do well with my ketch, but I concede that the former advantages of the split rig are no longer applicable with the sail tending opportunities of modern rigs. One advantage, howeverr, is retianed,- I frequently pass under 55' fixed bridges....Cape May, Marco Island, Fort Lauderdale and Miami.....that give me access unavailable for a sloop of my LOA. As for the ending of the mizzen, I have full access to all of my mizzen boom on deck. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 08-11-2010

That's actually the reason...

I am looking at ketch rigs. I want the option of a larger over-all boat but want lots of room for a mast to under bridges.

I do understand that cutters and sloops have significant advantages as well.

I was looking at the following boat - which brought my question to light - it says it is a ketch.

37' Endeavour PLAN A KETCH Photo 1 photo
Old 08-11-2010

jcalvinmarks is on a distinguished road
Looks like she has a stack-pack to flake the sail without you having to go any further aft than the stern rail.
Old 08-11-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
My Mom lived aboard and cruised an Endeavour 37 sloop which I thought had one of the worst motions that I ever experienced in my life. Build quality was not too great either. They sold that boat pretty quickly and moved onto a brand new Endeavour 40, which was a nice boat in most ways but which also had whole range of build-quality issues, some minor some not so. The Endeavour 37 was a good case of a boat which never should have been built as a ketch as the Ketch rig exacerbated almost every issue that we had with the sailing ability and motion comfort of the sloop.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 08-11-2010

Good to know Jeff! Thanks.

I did see that the particular boat had a stack-pack but I have seen quite a few that don't. So, I still have to wonder how safe would it be under adverse conditions. Worrying about TWO sails, one of which is further aft than I would feel comfortable flaking while preparing for a gale.

I guess the trick is to assume you would have a stack-pack, so that would be an item to add to the 'purchase' or built list. I just picked up the latest copy of "this old boat" and they have some instructional material for building your own.
Old 08-11-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I cruised for 7 years on a 38 foot ketch on the transatlantic circuit. I can not ever remember having to drop the mizzen at sea. It was always the first up and the last down at anchor. it was never a worry to flake I think maybe a foot of boom sticking out the back.

Although it is clearly a less efficient rig esp to windward, reaching between the Windwards and Leewards was a joy. If it got snotty the option to drop the main and continue under headsail and mizzzen gave me a balanced boat.