Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010

wannaberacer is on a distinguished road
WBTB? simple and single handed.

I'm looking for a good single handed skiff or dinghy.
been looking at lasers and think its a good place to start but i want to know about other options to consider. I've not sailed since i was a kid so I'm a beginner for sure. I also like the open bic, but think it would be too small.

an Ideal boat would be:

lightweight/cartoppable

have a fairly simple rig

easy for a beginner yet fun for an advanced sailor.

quick in a good wind.

fairly inexpensive used or new.

single handed but big enough for a couple of people.

thanks for any help guys.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2010

billsull is on a distinguished road
Hi,
You've satisfied most of your requirements with the Laser, especially if your SN name means anything, because you're sure to be able find a Laser fleet that will give a chance to hone your racing skills. Laser's aren't cheap new (more than $5,000. for a standard version), but you should be able to find a nice used one for less than $2,000. (double that for used, but competitive racing version).

Another fun boat is the Force Five (formerly made by AMF, now made by Weeks Yachts). Similar to a Laser, but heavier and more rugged design. My cousin used to own one and it was fast when the wind kicked up. I think they are slightly less expensive than the Laser when bought new. Other options would include the Hobie Bravo (small rotomolded catamaran), Laser Pico ("family" version of the Laser), and I have to include the Sunfish, just because they are so much fun!

I'm not a fan of car-topping - most of these boats are 100 to 150 lbs., and it's not a lot of fun to move the hull on and off a vehicle by yourself unless you have car racks with good rollers. I used to car-top a Sunfish and I damaged the hull over time. If you can get a small trailer with your boat, I think you will appreciate it. We still have the Sunfish that my wife got as a teenager and its in great condition because it has been trailered for all of its 40+ years.

Check out the Sept. issue of Soundings that is just out - they have an article on small sailboats. Good luck with the search!
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook