Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
midsize performance cruiser

Hello,

I'm starting to think about my next boat.....

My location is Long Island sound. Typical use is day sail for a few hours. Maybe anchor and swim with the kids, eat lunch and then sail home. Add in a weekend sail here and there and a week long trip with my family of 5 (kids ages 16, 12, 9). I have come to the conclusion that my family is never going to love sailing and they are never going to ask me to spend a week or longer on board (but will go for a few days if I tell them). So the boat I'm looking for needs to be big enough for that trip, but most of the time the extra space is just wasted.

I want something that is fun to sail, easy to single hand, responsive, easy to maintain, etc. My budget is up to $100K, maybe a little higher. I am willing to consider boats on the east coast, from Maine to Virginia.

My current boat is a 1986 O'day 35 with shoal draft keel and fixed 3 blade prop. It's big enough for a week on board and comfortable enough, but doesn't sail all that well. It's fine off the wind but with the shoal draft it makes a lot of leeway. My next boat must go to weather better than the O'day and must be faster as well. I race on a well prepared C&C 34, and that boat sails much better than my O'day

I think that boats in the 35' - 37' range would be best. I want something modern, like 1995 or newer. It must have a swim platform. A walk through transom would be nice. It must have a standard mainsail or in boom furler - no in-mast furling without battens. I don't want a shoal draft.

I am trying to decide if I should get a 'higher quality' boat like a Sabre 362 or Tartan 3500 (which would be older - mid 90's) or a typical production boat like a Catalina 350, Beneteau 361 or 373, Hunter 36, etc. (which would be newer, say 2002 or so). I would consider the Catalina 36 but I can't find a deep draft model. A dealer fairly close to me has a Catalina 350 and a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35, so I plan on taking a look at those.

Are there any boats I'm missing? The C&C 110 looks very interesting but there are not many around.

I don't plan on buying anything until next year, but it's never too early to gather information and look around.

How possible is it to go for test sails on older boats? From my previous experience it was next to impossible.

Comments welcome,

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BarryL; 08-12-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
A fin keel Catalina 36 would be good, but I've noticed that most of the East coast boats have the shoal draft keel. This makes the boat heavier and doesn't perform as well upwind.

However, I believe that there were about 2600 Catalina 36s sold. Many out there are the MkII version with the walk through transom. Almost all have a standard main without in-mast furling. You may want to consider widening your search to outside your area. To get under the $100k mark you will be looking at 2000 or earlier boats. The Catalina MkII was made in 1995 I believe so I would do a search for boats between 1995 and 2000.

There are some nice Catalina 36s on the West Coast for about $75 built in about 1996 and some 2000 boats for just under $100,000. If fact it looks like there is one right in my town for sale. Not sure of the cost to ship from the West Coast, but it may not be too bad if you can find the type of boat you want at the right price.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
In my recent search for a racer/cruiser in the 32-35 foot range, I looked at several of the boats you mentioned (including an ODay 35) Liked the Tartan 3500, and came close to making an offer. Note most have a shoal Beavertail keel so may give a little up in upwind performance. I looked at the Cat 320, but didn't like the interior. Most have wing keels. Looked a couple of C&C 99s. Decent interior and reputation as lots of fun to sail. The 110 and 115 would be similar, but make sure you are comfortable will all the issues with the epoxy hulls and the financial troubles of C&C/Tartan. The Sabre 362 would be a good choice, but pricey. I would include the J-34c and J-35c on your list. And a Bene 36.7 would be my choice over a 361 or 373.

By the way, I ended up buying a Cal 33-2 and absolutely love it. Very nicely laid out below and sails great.
Old 08-12-2010

DrB will become famous soon enough
Boats that I like in your Criteria

Aside from the Sabre 362, which I really like except for its cored hull, here are some candidates. All sail well and have creature comforts:
  • J37c
  • J109
  • C&C 37
  • IMX-38
  • SWAN 371
  • Tartan 3700
  • Tartan 3800
  • X-37
Old 08-12-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The nice thing about a C&C 110, is there are some FRP versions vs newer than 02/03 or there abouts being epoxy.

ANy of the bene first series boats would work, if you can find a Jeanneau Sun Fast 35 or 37, taller rig, deeper draft etc than a Sun Odyssey equal. Certainly the T3500 would work too, as would any of the older J boats, ie 32, 34, 35, 37 or a 108 if you can find one in your price range.

Reality is, almost anything will out perform your O'day. except maybe some of the Hunters of late...........but that is another issue.

You may need to also find yourself a buyers broker, and start looking to the GL's or west coast for deeper draft rigs if you want to go that route.

marty
Old 08-12-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
You might also want to take a look at a Beneteau 393 which would certainly satisify your requirements.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-12-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
How about Bavaria? That's what I'd be considering if I was on your budget and looking for a mid-size cruiser. They are production, of excellent design and quality (in my opinion, having chartered them in Europe), and since they are not as popular in US - prices are relatively low (lower than comparable Beneteau even though they seem to me to be "better boats").

And being off-shore capable is nice even if you never ever use that
Old 08-13-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
So the family doesn't want to sail, but you're buying a boat big enough to take them on a week long cruise against their will, when in actuallity, a 30 footer set up to single hand would be ideal?

C&C's are nice, I race on a 115 and it does go to weather pretty darn well, even with the funny shaped keel. The boat is heavy, and you might look into a larger headsail than what it comes with. I think C&C was planning a OD fleet so it just has hardware set up for a 100% jib.
Old 08-13-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Time to rethink the basic problem... (?)

So get an Alerion 28, go sailing with speed and style, by yourself. Be Happy.
Spend a night or two on board if you wish. Take a guest/family member along if they really want to go.

Sailing one of these will cause you remember why you loved Sailing so much before it became subordinated to a mobile home with a mast... with bored family grimly being dragged along.
Old 08-13-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
keep 'em coming

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments so far.

Some additional information:
-It's not that my wife and kids dislike sailing, but it won't be their idea to take a week or two cruise for summer vacation. If they did that, I would be in the market for a 40' boat. They love day sails, especially when there is some swimming involved. They also like overnight trips and we have enjoyed the longer trips, like the week long trip to Montauk, the week long trip to NYC (we stayed at the 79'th st boat basin) and we'll be leaving for Block Island in 1 week. So nothing smaller than 35' has the room we need for a week aboard.
-My boat stays on a mooring and I row my dingy out to the boat. I need a swim platform so I can easily get from the dink to the boat. My previous boat, a Newport 28 had a relatively low freeboard so I could scamper on board. My O'day 35 has a sugar scoop transom, and that makes it real easy to go from the dink to the boat. A walk through transom would make that easier, but isn't an absolute requirement.
-I'm not in any rush. I'll probably put my O'day on the market at the end of year and we'll see what happens. My O'day isn't a bad boat, in fact, I had a great sail today in 15-20 kts of breeze. I was by myself and only had a few hours so I didn't even bother to raise the main. On genoa alone I averaged 6 kts. I sailed upwind for an hour, tacked, and sailed downwind back home. The boat worked great and I left feeling refreshed and satisfied. We'll be going for a family sail tomorrow afternoon, and again, we leave next Saturday for Block Island.

Thanks for the comments.

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY