Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
If the boat has US coast guard documentation, the person selling you the boat has to have the documentation cancelled, they then hand you a document from the coast guard with all the details for the vessel stating Us Documentation is cancelled and you attach this to your AMSA Registration application.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
The difficulty has always been in registering an older boat that has never been registered previously. Theoretically you need to have docs going back to the original builder but I do believe there is a way around this. I looked into it when we bought Raven as one of the boats we were looking at was not a registered ship.
In a similar train to what Simon says, it actually isn't all that difficult over here - and, yes, fortunately the AMSA Shipping Registration people are very friendly and helpful.

I know because we came unstuck registering Bungoona because the PPO (previous-previous owner) moved to Queensland without telling AMSA (an offence under law) and sold it to the PO without the Registration Certificate.. In the end, with both the PO and PPO dead and buried, we had to cancel 50 years of history and pay $799 to re-register... but I'm getting off track.

All you need to do is get a Builders' Certificate from the builder (there will usually be one) and/or have the boat measured by a Marine Surveyor, be able to show a "Contract of Sale" document signed by the PO and then sign a Stat Dec declaring you are the legal owner and another declaring you've got the name, port etc marked as per the regs, all witnessed by a JP.

Given that ANY vessel entering or leaving Australian waters must be registered, it's not in their interests to make it TOO difficult to do..

On a side note: It's actually illegal in this country to fly the Red Ensign without being a Registered Ship. If ever you see some fancy new stinkpot roaring though the mooring field flying the Red Ensign to impress their friends, check to see if their name and port appears in the AMSA list - AMSA will happily book them if it doesn't!!..

Last edited by Classic30; 08-22-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2011

graemefromdownunder is on a distinguished road
Importing our Yacht into Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Before you leave the country in which you bought the boat you must have the boat registered as an Australian ship. There is no way around this, unless you have duel citizen ship with the country where you got it. If you donít the boat may be arrested at the first foreign port of call. Registration will set you back $799.
How can I register boat in Australia (say Qld) when she is resident in UK? At what point do I pay duty / gst - at time of registration or when I arrive?

Can you clarify this for me? We own a Hanse 461, bought second-hand in UK 2009, I have dual nationality my wife UK. Boat is registered in UK Small Ships register.

I was advised that Aussie customs calculate freight cost from last port of call, so if we stop at Fiji before arriving Qld then it is the cost of that leg. I haven't been able to find out whether they charge duty/gst on the price we paid (£146,000) at the exchange rate at the time we arrive in Aus (say $1.6 = £1) or its equivalent at the time we purchased (£2.3 = £1). It would certainly help to know what we will be up for when we arrive as it is certain Custom's won't take a post-dated cheque?
Old 04-12-2011

delite is on a distinguished road
Be sure to be honest with the price you paid. Custom agents often look on-line and find what price a boat was advertised for sale at. To good of a deal and they are likely to use their own price.
Old 04-12-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by graemefromdownunder View Post
How can I register boat in Australia (say Qld) when she is resident in UK? At what point do I pay duty / gst - at time of registration or when I arrive?

Can you clarify this for me? We own a Hanse 461, bought second-hand in UK 2009, I have dual nationality my wife UK. Boat is registered in UK Small Ships register.
You can register a foregn vessel as an Australian Registered Ship (ARS) from anywhere in the world. Simply go on line to the AMSA website (www.amsa.gov.au/). They will take you through the whole process. It will take a certain amount of time as they require original docs in some areas but overall it should not be all that painful.

One thing I am not 100% certain about is whether your ARS needs to be wholly or just majority owned by Australian citizen. If majority you are OK , you just have to convince your good lady wife that she now only owns 48% of your ARS and not a majority as she undoubtedly thinks. OTOH if your ARS has to be 100% Oz owned then you will need to become sole owner of your ARS.

Quote:
I was advised that Aussie customs calculate freight cost from last port of call, so if we stop at Fiji before arriving Qld then it is the cost of that leg. I haven't been able to find out whether they charge duty/gst on the price we paid (£146,000) at the exchange rate at the time we arrive in Aus (say $1.6 = £1) or its equivalent at the time we purchased (£2.3 = £1). It would certainly help to know what we will be up for when we arrive as it is certain Custom's won't take a post-dated cheque?
I think you are ill advised re the freight issue. My business imports from Europe and I can assure you freight component for GST purposes is for entire journey not simply from last port.

Duty is payable on price paid plus gst if under 12 months ownership. If over 12 months then customs will concoct a valuation for import duty and gst purposes based on value of AUD at time of import. A freight component will be added for gst purposes. If you were to allow a worst case scenario of realistic value (from their perspective not yours) plus freight (if shipped commercially) at currency valuation (at IMT/TT rate which is lower than official) then add 5% duty and then add 10% GST you should be well covered. Yes you do pay gst on customs duty.

Currency - Today the AUD is worth GBP.6637 official but in reality IMT/TT rate is only GBP.6217.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-12-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Given the way currency rates are fluctuating right now, as a UK registered boat, would you be better off (if you can handle it) getting the boat delivered to Singapore or Malaysia and aim to sail to Darwin via Bali once you get the paperwork and final arrangements made?

Just a thought..
Old 07-09-2013

shanedennis is on a distinguished road
Re: Help on import duty to Australia

We recently went through the Australian rego. The cost was about AUD$1250.

AMSA is very helpful but will not answer too many stupid questions and do everything by the book. I am pretty sure the boat needs to be at least 50% owned by an Australian citizen.

Regarding paying duty, I read somewhere you can opt for a survey if you bought the boat more than two years ago. Anyone done this?

How do you pay the import duty and how much time do you have to pay it? Can you use a credit card, for example? We will not have Australian bank accounts until after arrival.
Old 07-09-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Help on import duty to Australia

Boat definitely needs to be at least 50% owned by Australian citizen.

Not sure about the survey business but it sounds about right.

AMSA take credit card payments either online, in person or over the telephone.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.