Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Boats you see on Ebay OMG

Henry Nevins Personal Yacht 56' "POLLY" Sailboat: eBay Motors (item 320574579003 end time Aug-18-10 15:28:56 PDT)

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Big boat, cheap price, needs work.

Nice lines

Last edited by cormeum; 08-17-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Neat boat with historical significance.
Old 08-17-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
That is really amazing. For decades, Henry Nevis was one of the top boat builders in this country. When Hinckley was building production utility launches for the government, he was the 'go-to' yard for top build quality. Later Nevins built quite a few of the America's cup defenders of the 1950's and 1960's. I used to love to walk around his yard on City Island when I was a kid. I was in the 'secret shed' when Intrepid was being built under what passed for the tightest security in that era. By that time, the yard was an adjunct to Minnefords.

Nevin's yard was eventually sold to become condo's.

Polly is a piece of history. These old girls were amazing and would be a blast to own. Of course if you read the text, the owner suggests that it would require a couple hundred thousand to restore her. That's a shame since I can't imagine anyone doing that in these times but I've been wrong before.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 08-17-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
56 ft, 10 beam.. veritable floating toothpick is/was/may be Jeff!

my current "project"!
Old 08-17-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
56 ft, 10 beam.. veritable floating toothpick is/was/may be Jeff!
Skinny, just the way I like 'em.

She would be a blast to sail.

Replank/refasten below waterline would be under 100k if you had it done. Assuming no backbone problems.
She doesn't look hogged.

Last edited by cormeum; 08-17-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2010

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
Denise, thanks for drawing my attention to this, I am deep in fantasy right now thinking about purchaising her and restoring her to like new. Henry nevins built some great boast, some wonderful schooners, of pwhich one is Mystics "Brilliant" . I worked for a builder here in Greenport and we had a sister ship Of Brelliant another Nevins schooner in our yard under restoration, she was owned by three doctors from Texas who halfway through, pulled the money plug and just walked away from her. We tried to donate her via wooden boat magazines " Save this Yacht" they usually feature on the lst pages of the magazine. I don't know what finnaly happened to her after the shop,'kORTCHMAR & wILNERS" finaaly had to close up after many years,starting in CityIsland, then Staten Island and Finally to Greenport. Hope someone takes interst in this clasic beauty. Rick
Old 08-17-2010
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Maybe the Newport Restoration Foundation would have interest.
Old 08-17-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsailor View Post
Denise, thanks for drawing my attention to this, I am deep in fantasy right now thinking about purchaising her and restoring her to like new. Henry nevins built some great boast, some wonderful schooners, of pwhich one is Mystics "Brilliant" . I worked for a builder here in Greenport and we had a sister ship Of Brelliant another Nevins schooner in our yard under restoration, she was owned by three doctors from Texas who halfway through, pulled the money plug and just walked away from her. We tried to donate her via wooden boat magazines " Save this Yacht" they usually feature on the lst pages of the magazine. I don't know what finnaly happened to her after the shop,'kORTCHMAR & wILNERS" finaaly had to close up after many years,starting in CityIsland, then Staten Island and Finally to Greenport. Hope someone takes interst in this clasic beauty. Rick

C'mon! Haul her home, set up a shed and start spiling!
Old 08-17-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I would not call 49,000.00 cheap for its condition nor its heritage...In my limited experience reserve price is set very close if not at buy it now price.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.