Are surveys necessary/recommended when getting a brand new boat? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010

Gusnyc is on a distinguished road
Are surveys necessary/recommended when getting a brand new boat?

Hello Everybody!

Some friends have suggested to survey when buying a brand new boat. Others say it is not important considering the warranty.

What should I do?

Thanks for your answers!

Gus
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
It might be a requirement for a loan. Having built a number of vessels for owners, we always got a survey. We wanted an independent evaluation of the vessel, even with a warranty. Should problems arise, the survey can go a long way in justifying the repairs out of their pocket.

I've seen final payment documents where signing off meant we accepted the vessel, warts and all, and significantly reduced our leverage when repairs were needed.

I'd also suggest getting the survey well before your sign the final papers. That way some of the problems can be corrected before final payment, warranty work can be scheduled in advance, and you have legal support should the warranty be less than acceptable. It's a small percentage of the overall price of the boat and you'll sleep a lot better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Yes. If for no other reason than your insurance company will likely require one. Also, beyond that, a surveyor may catch problems that the broker and manufacturer didn't (or don't want to) catch.
Old 08-23-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusnyc View Post
Hello Everybody!

Some friends have suggested to survey when buying a brand new boat. Others say it is not important considering the warranty.

What should I do?

Thanks for your answers!

Gus
What they were referring to was for you to go get a psychiatric evaluation... ...The warranty inferred to buy your wifes friends was your life insurance policy.

Just Kidding....you hard working lucky dog you...

Whach-ya looking to buy Gus?...inquiring minds want to know...

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-23-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2010

oaklandsailor is on a distinguished road
Gus: I'm reading Lin and Larry Pardee on boat selection as we speak. Their experience is that it is a must do, since there is no telling if everything is as described in the brochure or during conversations with the broker. Not unlikely that this thing or that has been overlooked or even done poorly, they say. Could save many frustrating conversations or disagreements by knowing what is actually true before taking delivery even if you've already written the last check (which should always be held back until your surveyor has completed a thorough run through and let all concerned know what he learned). These are the Pardee's opinions, not my own, since I'm not allowed to have a new boat during this lifetime.

"The Cost Conscious Cruiser", page 58, item #5.

OS
And don't take any wooden through-hulls for Pete's sake.
Old 08-24-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
SBS (and Gus)..new boat purchase does not require a survey by the insurance company...some insurance companies don't even require a survey or a complete survey, which BTW would steer me to a different insurer...

However, having purchased a NEW boat in 1999, I would strongly suggest one on any new boat you buy. I was constantly told during my new bot commissioning, "that is the way we do it"...having a survey and/or the surveyor around before they get final payment would make sure it was done right...

All the best...
Old 08-24-2010
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
I would not buy any boat without a survey- new or used. Things gets missed during production and in a best case scenario, you find the issue before it has the chance to cause a failure. Something as simple as not drilling pilot holes can cause big issues later.

Keep in mind that even the best surveyors can and will miss items.
Still, your best bet is to get another set of eyes on your boat. I would plan on being there during the survey if for no other reason than to allow you to go over your boat with a "fine tooth comb".

Buying a boat requires an awful lot of money. You want to be certain that you are going into it with as much information as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our little blog has moved!
Old 08-24-2010

Gusnyc is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the answers. As KD3PC mentioned, the insurance doesn't require the survey. In any case, it seems that it would be a good thing to do, for peace of mind.
Old 08-24-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
In many ways surveys are more important on a new boat than a used boat. When a boat is in service, many issues that might come up on a survey will be glaring. For example, a delaminated deck will be large enough to feel or darkened wood might indicate a deck leak.

But on a new boat, the lack of use means that there will not be the kinds of teletale signs that might be indicators of bigger problems. B

ut also boats are built by humans; so hose clamps may be forgotten, wire insulators on battery terminals can be left off, drains may not properly hooked up and so on. Mostly little stuff, but perhaps big enough to strand you or cause other kinds of issues. Unless you personally are very knowledgable, a surveyor is your first line of defense.

Here is where it gets a little dicey. Ideally the survey should take place after all of the dealer installed items are aboard. The idea being, if the installer damages something, disconnects a critical component, or improperly installs something, then the surveyor should be able to catch it. The problem with that is that most manufacturers want you to 'accept' the boat before the dealer goes to work. The way around that is to have the right to survey before and after the installation allowing you to call in a surveyor if you sense that something is not right.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 08-24-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
I would say no in most cases. I have bought three new boats and never had a survey. It depends on the manufacturer and the dealer. With some manufacturers I would definitely want a survey having read about a successful lawsuit by a new boat purchaser (the builder still hasn't paid up!). There's another case with the same manufacturer where the mast wasn't in the center! But with a manufacturer who stands behind their warranty I would not bother. Just google the manufacturer and you will learn whether their warranty service is good or not.