Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010

SPC is on a distinguished road
Do you own a cruising version J Boat < 40' in SF area?

If you do and would not mind a short visit at your convenience, I would very much appreciate seeing your boat. I don't need a sea trial but would be happy to crew for a day if amateur help would be useful to you. I would also be happy to help you with some other chore.

A boat like the 35C or 37C has many characteristics that I like but there is no substitute for going aboard and having a good look around. Unfortunately for me, these boats are rarely available for sale. In fact, I only know of one mid30s J Boat currently available, a 37C in Maryland. I am concerned that even a cruising version J Boat will be too Spartan to serve as my live aboard for 3 or 4 nights most weeks.

What I was imagining is a 20-30 minute visit while dockside as you did something else or prepared for a day sail. I just want to get a sense of what the boat is like and I've found that is very difficult to do any way but in person.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
I have a dock neighbor that spends 3-4 nights a week aboard his Olson 40. It's more spartan but everything needed is there in it for living aboard (fridg, stove, head, salon table). I would not expect much less from a 37C.

Looking at the 37's on Yachtworld; I don't see where you would have any problem living aboard for 3-4 nights a week, or as a full time live-aboard. It's really more about making the best use of limited space on a sailboat; and being comfortable with that. People live/cruise aboard much smaller boats than a 37-40' sailboat.

If you are at all considering being able to race competetively you might want to look at J-105's since they are the biggest one design fleet for boats in the 35' range.

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 09-04-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-04-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Living aboard a J105 for 3-4 nights a week wouldn't be fun unless you're very very short. Of course, one can live on about anything for a few days at a time. I think the OP's on the right track with his choices (but I agree, I'm a huge fan of the O-40... of course moorage, sails, etc... will cost a great deal more than a J35c...) of the J35c and J37c . I'm more familiar with the 35c, and like you say, they're few, far between, and more expensive. There was a 35c in the PNW for sale... looked to need a cleaning. Don't know much about the particulars though. The interiors of the boats mentioned are very nice... should be plenty comfy.
Old 09-04-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Yes; the 37C is a better choice for a cruiser and live-aboard. I was only mentioning the J-105 as a better choice for racing since there is a huge one design fleet of them here. Since I have not been aboard one I don't know what it would be like to live on it for 1/2 of a week at a time but I'm sure they are more spartan and not having enough head room might be a deal breaker.

I noticed in other threads that the OP has only recently completed his Basic Keelboat; so it looks like he is in a hurry to buy a boat of his own. I think it might be wise to finish up your sailing school through the level of Bareboat Chartering; so you can charter different boats and get a feel for different types of boats before you buy one. SF Bay is a great place to sail and race. There are LOTS of different boats; some more easily handled than others. From what I understand the J-105 is a great sport boat but it likes to be sailed at low heel angles and if not it becomes a handfull. So you would always be wanting extra crew to help trim and keep it on it's feet. I don't know if the 35C or 37C are similar to the 105 in sailing characteristics but I definitely would want to sail one here (in heavy wind and current) before putting down the bucks on it.

You are entering the time of year here when the heavy summer winds decline and light winds prevail. Winter is not the best time of year to sea-trial a boat here. I think you should wait until next year to find a suitable boat for bay sailing; by then you will have had a chance to do some chartering and looking at different boat designs.

Another good racer/cruiser in the 37' range that could be lived aboard is the Express 37; it also has an active but small one design fleet here.