SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   A blue water sailer that can go in light winds (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/67686-blue-water-sailer-can-go-light-winds.html)

williamkiester 08-25-2010 11:20 AM

A blue water sailer that can go in light winds

Is there such a beast? I'm looking for a 30-36 ft cruiser that can also move in light winds. Local coastal sailing would probably be solo. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good full keel boat that has a little get up and go that doesn't cost a fortune? Cape Dory 28 was on my list, but I want more room. Allied Luders 33 is my front runner right now but on the expensive side. Allied Seawind was a little funky looking in the cabin front for my tastes and too slow in light winds. Downeaster 32 is a good honest boat, but too slow I fear. Apologies if this overlaps another thread. I'm ok with traditional lines or modern ones as long as they have some style.

COOL 08-25-2010 12:01 PM

I am going have to go with,
'there is no such animal'.
Light air performance, in a full keel design
would be a very rare combination. There are
some modern builds that combine up to date
underbodies with traditional looks, but they are
generally very spendy.

olson34 08-25-2010 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lots of great choices out there. Here is just one. Cascade 36, designed by the late Robert Smith. While many were/are home finished, all have all-roving hand layup hulls. These are very stout boats, and fast as well.
Built from the 60's to current. Tens of thousands of ocean-crossing miles with many couples.
Picture attached of the local boat that won the previous Pacific Cup outright... beating out boats costing hundreds of thousands of $.
:cool:

sailingdog 08-25-2010 12:02 PM

A good full keel boat that can go in light winds... hmm... why does it need to be a full keel boat? There are plenty of fin-keeled boats that are bluewater capable, and most do far better in light winds than a full keel boat will.

Since you asked for full keel... look for a HR Rasmus 35 or a Monsun 31, a Southern Cross 31 or 35 might also work well. The Elizabethan series of boats, the 30, 31, 33, might be good choices as well.

williamkiester 08-26-2010 03:03 PM

I could look at fin keel boats, though I think my partner in crime in this venture wants the security of a full keel with the rudder attached. Also, I my mooring is in a shallow bay. Am I wrong to think that the fin keel draws more water? I can be convinced to widen the search to include fin keels.

Thanks for suggestions. I'll definitely look at those boats.

JomsViking 08-26-2010 03:08 PM

I'd start here: Xc 38 ยท A perfect blend of cruising comfort and performance

sailingdog 08-26-2010 03:15 PM

There are boats that have a fin keel with a skeg-hung rudder, which gives you better performance than a full-keel boat but has more security than a spade-rudder equipped boat.

killarney_sailor 08-26-2010 03:15 PM

Not sure that you will find a full keel boat or even a long fin keel boat in that size range that will be good in light air. You may have to do the speed improvement with sail selection. We are using our asymmetric spinnaker a lot these days to have better speed in light winds. I suspect an AS and a Code Zero for close reaching would do the trick. Both can fitted with a snuffer or furler to make handling much easier.

williamkiester 08-26-2010 03:41 PM

My favorite so far is the Southern Cross, though they might be out of my price range and the cockpit looked pretty small. The Cascade 36 is a contender in the fin keel category. I'm checking the other link just posted.

williamkiester 08-26-2010 03:50 PM

Jomsviking, very cool boat, and fits the bill. Unfortunately I'm several $100,000 short on that perfect blend. Painful dreaming for us poor child rearing parents. Before I had put my sites into blue waters, I wanted an Alerion 33 or an e33, again way out of my price range, but I still visit the sites periodically. Will add the X yachts to my roaming.