Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010

williamkiester is on a distinguished road
A blue water sailer that can go in light winds

Is there such a beast? I'm looking for a 30-36 ft cruiser that can also move in light winds. Local coastal sailing would probably be solo. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good full keel boat that has a little get up and go that doesn't cost a fortune? Cape Dory 28 was on my list, but I want more room. Allied Luders 33 is my front runner right now but on the expensive side. Allied Seawind was a little funky looking in the cabin front for my tastes and too slow in light winds. Downeaster 32 is a good honest boat, but too slow I fear. Apologies if this overlaps another thread. I'm ok with traditional lines or modern ones as long as they have some style.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2010

COOL is on a distinguished road
I am going have to go with,
'there is no such animal'.
Light air performance, in a full keel design
would be a very rare combination. There are
some modern builds that combine up to date
underbodies with traditional looks, but they are
generally very spendy.
Old 08-25-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Lots of great choices out there. Here is just one. Cascade 36, designed by the late Robert Smith. While many were/are home finished, all have all-roving hand layup hulls. These are very stout boats, and fast as well.
Built from the 60's to current. Tens of thousands of ocean-crossing miles with many couples.
Picture attached of the local boat that won the previous Pacific Cup outright... beating out boats costing hundreds of thousands of $.
Attached Thumbnails
A blue water sailer that can go in light winds-rain-drop-pacific-cup.jpg  
Old 08-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A good full keel boat that can go in light winds... hmm... why does it need to be a full keel boat? There are plenty of fin-keeled boats that are bluewater capable, and most do far better in light winds than a full keel boat will.

Since you asked for full keel... look for a HR Rasmus 35 or a Monsun 31, a Southern Cross 31 or 35 might also work well. The Elizabethan series of boats, the 30, 31, 33, might be good choices as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-26-2010

I could look at fin keel boats, though I think my partner in crime in this venture wants the security of a full keel with the rudder attached. Also, I my mooring is in a shallow bay. Am I wrong to think that the fin keel draws more water? I can be convinced to widen the search to include fin keels.

Thanks for suggestions. I'll definitely look at those boats.
Old 08-26-2010
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
I'd start here: Xc 38 · A perfect blend of cruising comfort and performance
Old 08-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are boats that have a fin keel with a skeg-hung rudder, which gives you better performance than a full-keel boat but has more security than a spade-rudder equipped boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-26-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Not sure that you will find a full keel boat or even a long fin keel boat in that size range that will be good in light air. You may have to do the speed improvement with sail selection. We are using our asymmetric spinnaker a lot these days to have better speed in light winds. I suspect an AS and a Code Zero for close reaching would do the trick. Both can fitted with a snuffer or furler to make handling much easier.
Old 08-26-2010

My favorite so far is the Southern Cross, though they might be out of my price range and the cockpit looked pretty small. The Cascade 36 is a contender in the fin keel category. I'm checking the other link just posted.
Old 08-26-2010

Jomsviking, very cool boat, and fits the bill. Unfortunately I'm several $100,000 short on that perfect blend. Painful dreaming for us poor child rearing parents. Before I had put my sites into blue waters, I wanted an Alerion 33 or an e33, again way out of my price range, but I still visit the sites periodically. Will add the X yachts to my roaming.