Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010

tropicalescape is on a distinguished road
douglas 32?

Hello everyone, Im new to SailNet and would like to know if anyone has any experiance or info about the Ted Brewer designed Douglas 32 by Command Yachts as I have just purchased a very nice example of such a boat...It has very little time on the boat or the engine(yanmar2gm20)the boat was first owned by a U.S. ambassader to the Bahamas who had it prof. maintained but accorden to the log book didnt sail her very much, then by a local business owner who didnt sell her very much either,I have had my eye on her for as many as 15 yrs. and like so many other things in my life i have said for many years that I would own her in due time(attrition... or the patience of a buzzard.. your pick)any way shes mine now and I was wondering if any one has any info. as the owners group no longer exists.Any info would be appreciated as with or without any more info. im going to sail this boat to the Bahamas this coming spring or summer(Aint Scared)! Daryl
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2010
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Did you happen to see this page?
DOUGLAS32 MKII Blue Water Cruising Sailing Vessel.
Old 08-28-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Pretty boats.I have a w30 also if you have any questions.marc
Old 08-28-2010
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Might try firing off a letter to Ted Brewer. He's been very helpful when I've had questions, and they weren't even about one of his designs.
Old 09-19-2010

WhiskyJohn is on a distinguished road
I also recently purchased a Douglas 32 (1974). It was stored on the hard for 5 years before I got her so cosmetically it was a little rough. Mechanically all the systems worked fine after a little lube here and there. Mine came with a Volvo MD2B. After changing out the filters and pumping out the old fuel, it started and ran as though it had run the day before.

My boat came with a lot of literature from the Company, letters from Ted Brewer, original blueprint drawings, etc. If you want to send me a PM with your email, I may be able to scan and send you anything that you are looking for that I may have.

I've had her on the salt and in some 20kt blows, and she’s a solid well behaved boat. I think you'll find she was worth the wait.

Last edited by WhiskyJohn; 09-19-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-28-2010

pirategirl is on a distinguished road
douglas 32

Hi there John, My husband and I also recently accquired a Douglas 32 and would be interested in any info you may be able to share with us. She was also on the hard for sometime and is in need of some TLC but we know she will be a great boat when we are done. Good Sailing!
Old 12-28-2010

SeacoastSail is on a distinguished road
Funny I just purchased a 1972 back in Late September. The weather in Maine has slowed my work on her a bit but she will be cruising the Maine coast this summer. Any information on the Douglas 32 would be much appreciated. The Douglas32.org link does not seem to work anymore. I would love to know how they sail since I did not have the chance for a sea trial.
Old 12-30-2010

Hi PirateGirl and SeaCoastSail,

I noticed that the Douglas 32 link didn't work. There doesn't seem to be too much D32 info on the Web. Any reference I've seen to web sites or owners groups all lead back to that .org site which is dead.

I have some line drawings showing details of the deck hull joints, some rigging, etc. They are roughly legal sized (11x14) but I can photograph them and send you the files. I also have a Volvo Md2B shop manual but I've since found it on the web at

(edited... apparently I can't add a link until I've posted more) So stand by.

I also have a review of it in a Canadian Yachting Magazine from the 1990's. Even then they were thought of as "good old boats"

SeacoastSail, they sail very very well. The classic lines still work. Especially if you're used to sailing on some of the newer designs with the wide beam and flatter bottoms you'll find the D32 to have a very kind motion. She cuts through the waves rather than pounding over them. I single hand mind most of the time. And like I said, have been out in over 20kn winds, (not that this is any great shakes for these boats) and have no troubles at all.

I'll be sailing the coast of Maine this summer as well. I live in New Brunswick, Canada and will be getting down "south of the border". We were down to Campobello Island last year which is right across from Eastport.

I'm also setting up a Facebook group if any of you are there. Maybe we can be a bit of a clearinghouse for information and help each other out.

Drop me an email.
Old 12-30-2010

Here is the link to the Shop Manual:

http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/MD...B_Workshop.pdf
Old 01-07-2011

Martyp is on a distinguished road
Back in 1972, my dad bought a Douglas 32, it was a bare hull with the deck attached - empty inside, no hardware, ports or woodwork - just a bare fiberglass hull and deck. He spent about 4 years turning it into a yacht with beautiful woodwork and accomodations for 7. We launched it during the bicentenial celebration in 1976 and cruised it all over newengland for ten years. During those years, we sailed through several gales and she always muscled through and always made us feel safe. Good luck with yours.