SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cal 28? 1980''s

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gsirian 
#1 ·
Cal 28? 1980''''s

Does anyone know anything about the 80''s versions of the Cal 28?

Are they good cruising boats?

#2 ·
Cal 28? 1980''''s

If you are refering to the new design built in in the late 80'' 1985 to 1989 I would say they are good cruising boats under the right conditions. Interior space and layout is excellent and the boat sails well in light to moderate conditions. But the boat carries a lot of sail and is relatively light and therefore has to be reefed often. So depending on where you plan on cruising the boat would be appropraite but if you plan some blue water sailing I would go with something with less sail area and a little more sturdiness to it. I owned a brand new 1986 and loved it but after it was holed in a 1991 hurricane I realized how fragile a boat it was.

#3 ·
Cal 28? 1980''''s

Hello -I currently own a 1988 Cal 28. I love the boat - more room than most 30+ foot boats that I have been on. I sail Long Island Sound and consider this boat a solid coastal cruiser. I would not consider this boat for extended off-shore work. Although all deck hardware and fittings are larger than most for a boat this size, I do not believe the fin keel configuration on this boat would make a stable platform in a real storm. I have no problem with the boat having too much sail area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.