SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rhodes Ranger vs Cal 27 t/2

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  blt2ski 
#1 ·
Recently unemployed...divorced...want to get the hell out of here! Am considering two boats for blue water cruising to eventually end up in Central America. Both are in generally the same shape. The Ranger has an Atomic four that is running well and seems to be sound. The Cal has a larger beam and has a chrysler outboard which runs fine, and also has a survey (1 yr old) and an inflatable dingy. There is about a $2000 difference in asking price with the Rhodes being the more expensive. What is your opinion of the best boat suited for my needs and it would be either single handed sailing or with my buddy. Thanks!!!!!

#2 ·
Well, there is a Russian roulette of a choice. These are extremely different boats. Of the two, if the Rhodes Ranger is in good shape,it would be capabable of doing what you want, but most likely only very slowly and with a lot of modification (add fuel and water and supply storage, ad storm shutters for the large cabin portlights and perform long term maintenance items such as replacing standing and running rigging, chainplates, etc.).

The Cal 27 probably is unsuitable no matter what you do to it.

Jeff

#3 ·
Jeff - politely stated!! The Kent Ranger may have a swing keel which would make trailering feasible.

ME262 - Suggest you keep your eyes peeled for boats "stranded" in Central America. A lot of good deals can be had on boats that have sailed from the North and their owners, for one reason or another are no longer interested in moving on.

In either of these two boats, it would be a long and painful journey down the left coast, for sure. IMHO either boat could be prepared, but the skipper would be sorely abused????

#4 ·
Rhodes Ranger

Would not argue with either of the previous replies.

I have a Rhodes Ranger 28 and some experience sailing it..not a lot.
The keel on a Rhodes 28 is fixed and they draw about 4 ft.
I think the Rhodes 28 is a great boat but I agree with the thought that it needs storm windows for serious off shore work. that will not affect ventilation as the large windows do not open.

You might want to check out a Yahoo Group called "Rranger."
the double R is intentional.

Hope you post your decision and how it works out for you.

Best of luck and a fair wind!

#5 ·
And considering the OP has a Pearson 28-1 that he is about to hit the high seas with, qe2, you may want to realize that this was me262's first post, and not his last, which tells the story of him owning the pearson.

But with this tirade, it is good to know there are yahoo groups for the Rhodes Ranger 28!

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.