Helm on Beneteau First 345 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-08-2010 Thread Starter
s/v Passport, Bianca 111

Question Helm on Beneteau First 345

Hi all,
I'm planning on buying our first boat in the next year to year and a half. Doing a ton of leg work for the last six months or so and will contine to the bitter end. I over analyze but what can I say, its fun. I'm looking at everything but keep being intrigued by this boat.

What I'm wondering is what years was this made. I know it goes back to at least the mid eighties but I'm wondering what the range is.

Second, I've seen most of the First series with tiller steering and one with a wheel. Was this an option on this boat? I prefer the wheel.

Any other insights are welcome.

Thanks
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-08-2010

The First series boats are there race models VS there other lines geared a bit more towards comfort with bigger fuel and water tanks ect .

What are you doing with the boat ?

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-08-2010

I believe there were 460 hulls built from '85-88.
I sailed on one when it was new.
It was tiller steered and sailed well,
it was a quick boat in a breeze.
I think a wheel would be a very poor
choice for this boat. The cockpit is
already a bit cramped, any wheel would
have to be much too small to be effective.

Islander 30 II 'COOL'

post #4 of 10 Old 09-08-2010 Thread Starter
s/v Passport, Bianca 111

Thanks guys.

Yes I realise the First series is a race boat; I race against one every week and am familiar with the breed. I'm partial to the idea of a boat that can weekend cruise on lake Michigan comfortably but can get going in a light breeze and compete in can races and some distance races.

I didn't think about room in the cockpit with a large wheel. Now that I think of it, the one I saw for sale did have a smaller wheel. Do you think it was an option?

I prefer a wheel but am fine with a tiller. The wife insists on a wheel. No reasoning, just insists.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-08-2010

We cruise an '88 345 on LIS and while it's sometimes a bit tight for space when we have two couples it works well for the weekends and daysails. I happily trade a bit of space for the responsive performance. Ours has a wheel but the cockpit might be a better layout if it had a tiller. In any event she's a pleasure to sail. Send a note if you'd like more info.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-09-2010
Old enough to know better

I looked at one and really really liked it. I am looking for a live aboard and thought it would meet my needs well. It may be quick, but also seems to be very nice and spacious. Did not seem to have much storage, but I liked the aft head. There are 2 layouts as well, one with an aft head and one "state room" aft and one with 2 "state rooms" aft with a forward head. I think the aft head would have worked out for me, being single with 2 visiting kids. from the floor plan of the forward head, it looks like you loose a lot of privacy in the V birth. If I could find another one in my price range a bit better shape than the last one I would grab it. Some do have wheel, but the design really does seem to scream for a tiller. The cockpit is just laid out for it, but then I am partial to a tiller.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-10-2010 Thread Starter
s/v Passport, Bianca 111

Thanks gentlemen, good info.

Is there anything in particular to watch out for structuraly, mechanicaly, etc...with these boats?

I've noticed a pretty broad range in price (25% difference) and was wondering if this was maybe due to serious issues or just a normal difference due to sail inventory, equipment, general condition, market, etc.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-04-2016

Re: Helm on Beneteau First 345

Geesh. Beneteau 345 here. It ain't the bolts, it's the washers. I was scared to do this job myself, but in fact, it's trivial. Replaced with grade 8.8 and new washers. Of course you would clean the keel hull gap before replacement. As stated earlier in this thread, if you pulled the bolts and looked at them, a wire brush on the heads would make the old bolts look new. I made a couple metric threaded studs that kept everything in line while the boat was lifted a few inches off the keel. A lot of 'hair on fire' for something that's extremely simple. It's eleven bolts, not a moon launch.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-04-2016

?????? First post after joining 15+ years ago and it's to a 6 year old thread. And the reply has nothing to do with the subject of the thread!
post #10 of 10 Old 05-04-2016
4KSB driver.

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
?????? First post after joining 15+ years ago and it's to a 6 year old thread. And the reply has nothing to do with the subject of the thread!
Give him a break, maybe he types slow

1983 WD Schock Wavelength 24. Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.