Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Great post! I knew about the J-boat issues, and agree that when looking at cored boats, maintenance and long term love is everything, but they (cored boats) certainly shouldn't be excluded from one's shopping list. We own an E-34... and I'll be darned, I had no idea that the O-34 was a solid glass hull. Learning new things is good! Just curious, and on a small hijack, what conditions do you find your boat excels compared to the E? There are a couple of O's in the local marina's, but none (nor any 99's) are out racing. And agreed, a wheel on a 30-34' racer/cruiser is a bit odd. Saildrives... yep, it's pretty tough to trust that a used boat has been properly maintained, and the cost of failure and electrolysis is sinking or repower/rebuild/new lower drive, but a survey will find this soon enough. Again, thanks for the post!
Puddin,
Your bio here looks empty to me. You have an Ericson 34?? Wow! Are you logged in at EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!
That's where I usually lurk... having an Ericson-built boat.

When Ericson bought up the tooling for the Olsons (25,911s, and 34) in early/mid 1988, they continued to produce them with solid layup hulls and more "cruising-oriented" interiors. In the case of the O-34, Pacific Boats only built one (cored hull) prototype. The 39 that were built by Ericson really comprise the main production of that model. I have hull #8. Our boat has the optional wheel, ordered by the first owner. We were hoping for a tiller model when we were shopping, but, oh well...

As you might expect from our MORC-derived hull, we are best at reaching and running. A good IOR hull like an Ericson 33RH can keep right up with us. That should be true for an E-34 (mk1 or 2).

Cheers,
L
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Some of my comments were directed at the type of sailing I though Barrry L does...now I see he wants to know maximize the performance aspects of the next boat and doesnt mind acrifice some of the cruising aspects.After reading about his exploits to Block I thought his family would want something more comfortable in a seaway and dont think the C&C 99 is set up that way.

Good luck in your search barry. Try a number of different designs. Benny Oceanis, Farr, etc.

Hope we meet up next year on our trip north.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-15-2010

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Not sure what all the fuss is about. Our best friends bought a 2008 99 and this is its 4th season (reminds me of cars with a 2008 model delivered Aug 2007).

Easily motors at 7 knots. Can go faster. Plenty of power in all situations we have encountered. Only issue with the engine was with faulty shore power that surged and damaged the main circuit board. No issues obtaining replacement.

The boat sails well, performs hands down better than the old C&Cs of the 70s and 80s and is a modern design. The boat is well rigged and the fit and finish seem very good. Altthough a new Tartan is a bit nicer below it is still quite nice. I also sail on a C&C 115 which seems to have a few more problems with the fixtures inside but is otherwise a solid boat.

I can not recall specifically which C&C models have been reputed to have the problems with construction techniques but it was not the 99.

The bonus is that the newer ones draw 5.5 feet and there are not many performance oriented 32 footers available these days with that shallow a draft. It is not a racer - it is a cruiser/racer but it also has a PHRF between 99 and 105 so is very nice to sail.

Saildrive vs Shaft. personal preference. Shafts tend to leak a lot more from my experience.

Mike

Old 09-15-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Talking Small World...

Hello to MikeHoyt!
I thought your name seemed familiar... I used to lurk on the Niagara site, having raced and cruised a Niagara 26 for a decade (starting even before there was an internet).
Loved that boat. A lot. Wife liked it just as much (always an important concern!)

Nice to run into you again.
Fair winds,
Loren
Old 09-15-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
Puddin,
Your bio here looks empty to me. You have an Ericson 34?? Wow! Are you logged in at EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!
That's where I usually lurk... having an Ericson-built boat.

When Ericson bought up the tooling for the Olsons (25,911s, and 34) in early/mid 1988, they continued to produce them with solid layup hulls and more "cruising-oriented" interiors. In the case of the O-34, Pacific Boats only built one (cored hull) prototype. The 39 that were built by Ericson really comprise the main production of that model. I have hull #8. Our boat has the optional wheel, ordered by the first owner. We were hoping for a tiller model when we were shopping, but, oh well...

As you might expect from our MORC-derived hull, we are best at reaching and running. A good IOR hull like an Ericson 33RH can keep right up with us. That should be true for an E-34 (mk1 or 2).

Cheers,
L
Express 34... sorry about that.
Old 09-15-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
I found this one less than 30 minutes from my house:

Long Island Yacht Sales (Bay Shore, NY)

I looked at it yesterday and it seems solid.
Barry, that's one of the 99s I looked at, so they've had it 2 years. I bet they would be willing to strike a good deal. i passed because it had the deep keel (class keel is now the 5'5" one) and minimal equipment. Did look to be in solid shape however.

Jim
Old 09-15-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Is there any difference in the rating between the deep and class keel? And is the deep keel allowed in 99 one design racing?
Old 09-16-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
There's a 6 second difference in the base rating - 102 vs 96. Not sure about any class restrictions regarding the deep keel in one design racing. I did glance through the class rules (on the 99 class website) when I was considering them but didn't find anything. Note there's also the difference between the aluminum mast and the carbon fiber mast. After a few years of production the factory standardized on the shoal keel and carbon fiber mast version and offered early owners with the deep keel and/or aluminum mast changeouts at bargain prices. An attempt to encourage one design racing.
Old 09-28-2010

angelog is on a distinguished road
S2 7.9's are fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
And, if you just want a fast race boat, scroll down a way in the list of boats at that brokerage and look at that S2 7.9 Grand Slam. I used to crew some on one and they are Fast.
Yes they are, but I routinely beat them in my 1977 Pearson 10M (which btw is a GREAT sailing boat, stiff and avail for <$20k).

I've read your thread. My buddy loves his C&C110. Very comfortable and fast, but not competitive in PHRF (he has the older version and 6' keel, BS). There are 2 on the Ches Bay, and neither is raking in the silver. That said, it moves very nicely in all winds.

Another boat that you might look at is Beneteau First 10R. They didn't take off like Bene hoped and you can pick them up used for just over $100k. Farr design with a PHRF in the 80's.

Also, not many around, but look for an X-332 .. probably can be had near $100k.

Older boats? Don't overlook a J-30. Remarkable room down below for a 30ft boat .. or a J-32. Also, I'll put in another plug for a Person 10M. We rate 156 here in the Ches Bay and we just won Best in Fleet. It's a very stiff boat, well balanced but it's got a lot of headsail. We used to have a RF with a foam luff that would take me from 155 down to 110 and it sails wonderfully on jib alone.

I'm still eyeing C&C99's. They tried to keep a OD fleet alive in the Bay, but that's fallen apart and it doesn't look like they are competitive under PHRF here with a 108 rating.

Angelo - Pearson 10M "Bella Donna"
Old 01-27-2011

dwwilde is on a distinguished road
From a 99 Owner- some perspectives

As a C&C 99 owner for the last 8.5 y, I can say we have been very satisfied with the boat. We race on the Chesapeake and find the boat, when well sailed, with a coordinated crew, to be competitive in 1 design. PHRF out here is 108.

As to your question regarding reefing, we use a medium 150% #1 up to about 12 kn true. After that we switch to a heavy #2 (135%) , which we can carry up to ~ 18+ kn true. At that point, we can reef the main (1 point) or switch to a 100% #3. The key to decent boat speed in the 99 is to keep the boat somewhat flat. Heel angles above 20 degrees mean the boat begins to lose forward velocity a bit. Crack off the main or put some good twist in the top and that often solves the immediate problem.

One thing that is very cool in these boats is that the steering is basically 1:1. The rudder goes lock to lock in one turn of the wheel. Means steering is very sensitive. Also means that with weather helm, it takes some force to track the boat, especially in waves. However, reduce helm by dropping the traveler or twisting off the top of the main and the sensitivity is a real plus. On the race course, the boat is significantly more agile than others of the same length...even tiller boats (usually because they have smaller rudders).

The Volvo sail drive has performed very well for us. We had some issues with he water integrity of the ignition circuitry but have fixed those problems. At 3000 RPM with a 2 blade folding Volvo prop, we can get ~ 6.5 - 6.8 kn in flat water with no current. Maneuverability is fantastic although with any saildrive you need to make sternway to get steerage, since the rudder is located about 5-6 feet aft of the propeller. Prop walk is minimal at best. Basically, the boat

The cockpit is a bit small for a full racing crew. We regularly race with 7 in order to run a full kite. Upwind speeds are usually ~ 6.5 - 6.8 kn.

We have also cruised our boat a bit. Although the manufacturer says it sleeps 6, I think it is better suited for 2...4 in a pinch. Black water tankage is a bit small, but that also means dead weight in the bow is kept lower, too.

For its price, depending on your sailing needs, it is a good value for a racer cruiser. It certainly is in many ways a better buy than a new J-105 ( which we often beat in racing here in the Chesapeake), which lists I believe at over $200K and is not really conducive to any cruising if desired. The key of course is to sail it well.

Another advantage i enjoy is the ability to easily single hand the boat. The large primary winches back at the helm allow this.

Hope this helps.