Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010

jakmedic is on a distinguished road
opinions on a few small boats before I buy

Wanna buy a boat this weekend. Looking for opinions for daysailer for wife and 3 year old daughter, want it to be safe for them, good learner for my wife, but still fun for me (i'm a big boat cruiser and want some little boat speed speed). No real cabin needed, but don't want a "sit on" dinghy, want a sit in boat with benches. We're sailing protected bays mostly, Must be centerboard (not enough H20 at low tide for keelboat). I'm looking at the following all used: Rhodes 19 ($6K, w/engine is $7K), catalina capri 17.5 (3K, no engine, needs new jib, glass needs some glass work R hull), catboats (ie beetlecat,real pretty), flying scott.

My thoughts, never having sailed any of these boats:

-Rhodes 19 is tried/true, solid boat, comparatively dry and stable, still fun to sail fast if you want, probably best bet all around. A little pricey for me though at $6-7K, but may do anyway.

Catalina capri: maybe easier to handle, faster, but more exposed, wetter, less forgiving than Rhodes. Price is better tho ($3k). will need new engine, head sail, and will need to fix glass delam on strbrd side.

Beetlecat; real pretty, love the classic look, comfy and safe for my kid but not a great challenge to sail given one sail, thus not a great learner for my wife and not very exciting for me. Could be wrong, I've never sailed these.

Flying Scot: Real fun, solid boat, only downside is it's hard to rig an engine on it. That and there' none for sale in my area anyway (cape cod).

Maybe wrong on all counts, if so set me straight. Otherwise, I'll probably spend more than I wanted to and go for the rhodes 19, but would love to hear people's thoughts/experience first...

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
I think that you'll find a catboat, especially a gaff-rigged boat like a BeetleCat, a bit more challenging to sail (or at least sail well) than you might think. The Rhodes is actually an easier boat to get moving, particularly in light air. All that said, I think I would choose the BeetleCat over the Rhodes, everything else being equal. They really make a great daysailer, and you and your wife will learn more about sail trim trying to get that gaffer to move.
Old 09-19-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Seams like a lot of money for a Rhodes 19. Unless it is race ready and there is a R19 racing program near you.

I have seen R19 racing fleets and it could be a lot of fun. If the boat is competitive: light, modern upgrades, newer sails, good racing record, you could have a bunch of fun on it. Sail with your family, race with your friends. If there is no racing fleet for R19s nearby I would suggest waiting for a race worthy boat to become available.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Pearson Ensign.
Old 09-19-2010

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
My first sailboat was a chrysler & I really liked the way they performed , plus the price on these old boats is very reasonable

Chrysler Exchange

Chrysler Sailboats For Sale - Yakaz Miscellaneous