Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
If you want a less expensive boat to me that means you probably are not happy about paying 20k to 30k for a new teak deck either. There are many solid lower maintenance boats out there at good prices. Any boat has enough issues with soft decks, engine issues, rigging, systems, etc that you don't need to add the teak deck troubles to the list. After 10 or 20 years they get very expensive and/or labor intensive.
Old 09-23-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
You better want that boat bad to pay 60k for a fixer upper. My guess by the time you replaced the engine and teak deck, and the boat has been on the hard for a year or more, you would have wished you spent the $100k and was out sailing instead.
The best thing to do is be patient...and have a wide list of boats to pick from. Then wait for that rarest of rare listings...the "Owners Plans Have Changed" listing.

This is a boat that was bought as a fixer upper. Then the owner, over years of backbreaking, laborious work brought the boat into bristol condition...only to have plans dramatically change. This is one of those "2%" boats that is absolutely cherry. The sale is, unfortunately, due to one or more of the 3 "d"s....Divorce, Death, or Disease. Cheery subjects.

That is when you come in and give a fair, full price cash offer pending survey with quick closing. Usually the boat is heavily discounted for the equipment and model year offered, so haggling doesn't make a lot of sense anyway.

You will get that $60k fixer upper with an additional $80k in upgrades equipment and remodels...for usually $90-$100k.

Be patient...3-5 of these boats appear a year. You just have to be positioned to move quick when it does. Have a plan.
Old 09-23-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
We found our HC33 for about 20-25k under market 5 years ago.

Our decks needed re caulked which is a lot of work, but they should last at least another 10 years now at which time we may rip up and replace with cork or go without. Our teak decks are not screwed into the deck. They were put together using small stringer boards and then glued down to the deck. The decks are solid not cored.

If the boat you find is in good condition, then IMO you'll be hard pressed to find a better built boat in the 33' range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010

williamkiester is on a distinguished road
I'm early in my search and have a partner involved. I'm thinking that a great looking boat helps sell our families on this which gets the price we can afford up. We are intent on sailing offshore. My partner is very salty, me less than he, but competent. I have a third party interested who is a fine woodworker so with three in maybe we get to $45k if there's a boat we really have to have. With just two of us, my guess is $30k is our tops, and we are more likely to get something in the $10k range so this is really day dreaming. I'm back to considering the Cheoy Lee offshore 31, but the Hans Christians and boats of that ilk inspire bank robbery. My intention was to find a fixer upper, but you are right to say that we'd be hard pressed to pay that kind of dough to be working on the hard all summer.
Old 09-23-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkiester View Post
I'm early in my search and have a partner involved. I'm thinking that a great looking boat helps sell our families on this which gets the price we can afford up. We are intent on sailing offshore. My partner is very salty, me less than he, but competent. I have a third party interested who is a fine woodworker so with three in maybe we get to $45k if there's a boat we really have to have. With just two of us, my guess is $30k is our tops, and we are more likely to get something in the $10k range so this is really day dreaming. I'm back to considering the Cheoy Lee offshore 31, but the Hans Christians and boats of that ilk inspire bank robbery. My intention was to find a fixer upper, but you are right to say that we'd be hard pressed to pay that kind of dough to be working on the hard all summer.
Yeah, I think paying 45k for an HC or Tayana would be really low and would most likely need a lot of work. These are maintenance heavy boats, and as everybody mentioned, if they aren't in decent shape, then you'll have your hands full.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkiester View Post
we'd be hard pressed to pay that kind of dough to be working on the hard all summer.
With a boat like this a fixer upper is not an all summer project.

I think Night Owl's observations are very relevant. Sometimes the plans changed are due to the owner being too old to sail the boat once the boat is ready.

Check out the Frank Edmund:
Sailboat Moves

Imagine planning a circumnavigation at 45 but ending up starting at 70.

I do like the thought or a cork decked HC though.
Old 09-23-2010

I have a little daysailer to keep me company so I was thinking of buying a five to eight year fixer upper, but a really cheap one, not one that breaks the bank. I feared I was out of my league. Thank you all for the input. And who knows, maybe Angela Jolie will leave Brad for me and buy me a boat, or I will stumble on DB Cooper's wad of money.
Old 09-24-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
As others have said, you'd be very fortunate to find an HC 38 or 33T in good condition within your budget. You'll also be fortunate to find something similar (size, quality, looks, design, bluewater capability) within your budget. The HC33T is my dream boat at nearly any price. But if my budget never allows an HC, but there are many others that are "similar" and can sometimes be had for much less that I would consider.

Here's a few that haven't yet been mentioned, though there still not likely to be found for less than the $45k you mentioned:

Southern Cross 31/35
Baba 30/35
Valiant 32
Willard 8 Ton
Fantasia 35
Union 36
Fuji 32/35
Alajuela 33
Rafiki 35/37

Old 09-25-2010

Thanks for the boat list. I will check those out when I get a chance. The Southern Cross 31 is already on my list but I'm worried it is a bit pokey for day sails and coastal stuff. I've been meaning to check out a Baba. And there are a bunch of new exciting names for me to explore. A quick peak and the Valiant 32 might be a good one for me to consider. I'm thinking I want a fin keel offshore cruiser or a cut away keel. The Cascade 36 is current top of the list but their often have weird interiors and they are scarce on the east coast as far as I can tell. The boat research has been great fun. Thank you all for the suggestions.
Old 07-01-2011

We bought an Allied Luders 33, not in the same class as an HC but will go as far. We are very excited. Sailing her up from the Chesapeake in a week!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.