Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010

williamkiester is on a distinguished road
Hans Christian Cheaper Alternative

I fell in love with the Hans Christian 38

1982 Hans Christian MK II Cutter sailboat for sale in California

and the 33 footer would more than do, but they are really expense (33 is about $80k and the 38 was $115k). Does anyone have suggestions of similar boats at more reasonable prices? I already have the Nassau 34 on my list.

The features that are attracting me are the beautiful but tight interiors (edited per the comment below) and seaworthiness.

Last edited by williamkiester; 09-22-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Slocum..
1985 Slocum Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
but I don't think there was any Slocums less than 43', could be wrong about that. Also, I am a bit confused, you say
Quote:
roomy interiors
these boats generally have less interior volume than comparable productions boat of the same LOA.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 09-22-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
While way out my price range, I don't think that is expensive for what you get the prices you quote. I think the prices vary lots too for the boat just finished their 2nd circumnavigation they and the boat are tired and want to get out, to the boat just upgraded ready to start that cruise.

I too think they are one of the prettiest boats. I fell in love with one when I learned to sail, even rounded up enough friends to afford to take out an HC33 when I was in college.

Given the amount of woodwork, especially teak would you want a version cheaply made? As much as I love the look, having that much teak would be a maintenance nightmare, even worse if poorly put together.

I think a more modern alternative with a canoe hull would be a Crealock design, Westsail 32 or 42, Crealock 31 or 38s but you won't find those cheap either. There is a lot of fiberglass, lead and in the case of the HC wood as well in these boats. The only way to find them cheap is if a lot of stuff is broken on board.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2010

Dear Sailortjk1: I think the fine wood work and smart layout makes them feel roomier. I guess I don't need the room, but rather the beauty. I do like the two double berths , though they point out that one is really a 1 1/2 berth at best. I don't like the lack of door, but could live with that if someone gave me a Hans Christian.
Old 09-22-2010

The Slocum cutter looks great. by the way. The Crealocks and Westsails also. I need to get a deal or win the lottery. I'm happy to do some elbow work if anyone sees something interesting with an easier price tag in this style boat.
Old 09-22-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
~$100K is the going price for a HC38, a Tayana37 or the Baba/Tashiba versions for a 'quality' boat of the mid 80s vintage. You can go cheaper if you want a 'beater' but these boats are starting to show their age especially if the maintenance was ignored.

The teak is no problem if you use one of the modern long lasting coating systems: Honey Teak, Bristol, etc. Typical service life of Honey Teak is about 10 years with 'some' maintenance coats in between.

The REAL problem on these era boats is that their screwed-down teak decks are now becoming 'wet' and in needing of a $$$$$ replacement, and some have severe chainplate problems ---- all 'age' related.

Here's an example of very maintained Tayana 37: 1984 Tayana Cutter sailboat for sale in South Carolina
Old 09-23-2010

That Tayana Cutter is a beautiful boat. Unfortunately I don't have the $100k to spend, but hope springs eternal.
Old 09-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkiester View Post
That Tayana Cutter is a beautiful boat. Unfortunately I don't have the $100k to spend, but hope springs eternal.
How much do you have to spend? Do you plan on some ocean passages soon? If not there are boats of these sizes for a lot less money.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkiester View Post
If you have the skills you can 'restore' a 'beater' into prime condition. Such 'beaters' sometimes can be had for ~$50-60K.

Problems:
Rusted out black iron fuel tanks - repair with FRG
Rotted chainplate bases - totally replace or install 'outboard plates'
Early 80s and older boats have wooden spars - avoid entirely
Screwed down teak decks ..... avoid or be prepared to totally rebuild the decks - costly and backbreaking even as a DIY project.
Rigging - OEM rigging is 'trash', replace entirely using norseman, etc. connectors.
Bowsprit rot .... easy but laborious DIY project.
Diesel engines with well over 5-6,000 hours.

Best place to find any of these boats (HC/Ty37/Baba/Tashiba) available -- from internet "owners groups".

;-)
Old 09-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
If you have the skills you can 'restore' a 'beater' into prime condition. Such 'beaters' sometimes can be had for ~$50-60K.
;-)
You better want that boat bad to pay 60k for a fixer upper. My guess by the time you replaced the engine and teak deck, and the boat has been on the hard for a year or more, you would have wished you spent the $100k and was out sailing instead.