Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Beneteau First 38 and equivalents?

http://www.sailnet.com/boatchk/showp...p?product=140&

Quote:
Very fast fin keel racer/cruiser. Very seaworthy. Sistership has circumnavigated. Have not found any weaknesses. Are very pleased with performance and accomodation. Great liveaboard, extended cruiser as well as weekend racing machine. Great all-round safe and exciting sailboat.
Quote:
We purchased this 3 cabin boat new in France in 1985. We were embarking as a family on turned int a 6 year circumnavigation. My yacht dealership partnership had been sold to do this, but as dealers for Swan, C&C, Whitby, Yamaha, Beneteau and our own line of Sunstar sailboats I had no doubt which was the best built boat for the money.

Now, after 15 years and over 70,000 miles we still find it hard to believe that a better boat exists. No structural problems, it sails like a racer but handles easily. Its a dry ride and the boat has no vices. You can tell that we like this boat!

What major items have we had to repair? Blisters were extensive; they were repaired by Beneteau when we were in Australia in'88. Headliner started to fall down as the foam backing disintegrated and had to re repaired. Window plastic is due for replacing due to UV hazing. The Perkins 4-108 has 10,700 hours and still starts instantly and purrs, but is starting to smoke a bit and is going in for a rebuild. NO leaks or squeeks.

We refitted in'98 for a cruise from Vancouver to Nova Scotia with winter spent exploring both sides of Central America. A watermaker was added, also the great new in-boom maisail furling system by Profurl. Sailed 11,600 miles in the year, got beaten up by some fairly tough conditions but had no boat problems.

I'm happy to hear from anyone who wants to know more - or you can read one of my wife Liza's books.

Andy Copeland. Sailboat 'BAGHEERA'.
I bumped into the above thread about Beneteau First 38. I found it very interesting. It may be what I am looking for my purpose. Like all newbies first coming to Sailnet, I wanted to have a true blue water boat. However after years of reading and listening, I am not sure if I can live with a true blue water boat because it is painfully slow and lack of space. yes, I like to take the boat to cross the pond, but I don't do it all the time.

My questions are:
Are all Beneteau First series built similarly well?
Are any particular year or model that I should look for?
What is the equivalence of late model (say 1995 to 2005) to the original "Beneteau First 38" ?

TIA

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Sorry for the screwed up title field.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 09-23-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I can't give specifics about the 38, but I did deliver a 40.7 back from Bermuda to Annapolis MD this past summer. At no time did I feel the boat was tender, or cheaply made.
Old 09-23-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Models, altho I do not know yrs per say that may fit from Bene

First 375, not sure of older or newer
First 36.7 newer
40.7 newer
40f5? and a few other 40 variations too.

Not sure if there is a bene owners forum or website, sometimes the manufactures web site has some info on back models. If you were looking at Jeanneaus. there is a site based in England with all kinds of info.

Do you own the SO37 you say you are sailing? I know of at least one for sail in Ca that has been around the globe, with many others doing pond jumps. Not saying I would want to do a Cape Horn in the middle of winter....I could work for what you want if you can weather watch.

marty
Old 09-23-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Thanks Captains

I currently do not own a SO37. She is a sail-share boat. I have such good time that i will sign for another year contract. By then, i hope I know what I want to buy for my cruising need.

Beneteau First 40.7 is high on my list. In case I am not able to find one in my area next year, I wonder which is the replacement of her from the Beneteau First line.

Fine Print:
Old 09-23-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Rock,

The 40.7 is just getting replaced by the First 40. Before that is a 41S5 ie 90's, 40.5 ie 80's builds.

Others going thru yachtworld,

42S7 90's
1st 42 80's
1st 38 80's
First class 12 80's earlyish
One Ton earlyish 80's
36.7 2000's
38S5 90's
375 80's
36S7 90's
35S7 90's
35S5 90's
FC10 80's

These are all what most would call the first series, ie the race cruise boats vs the oceanus, boats ending with a 3 or equal of the cruise line from bene.
If you can get a 90'ish or later model design, these will probably sail and handle better than an 80's model.

marty
Old 09-23-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Sorry for the screwed up title field.
Fixed.. let me know if you wanted something different!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-23-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
My questions are:
Are all Beneteau First series built similarly well?
Are any particular year or model that I should look for?
What is the equivalence of late model (say 1995 to 2005) to the original "Beneteau First 38" ?

TIA
There is a discussion of the First 42 at Beneteau First 42 - German Frers design with a link to a detailed review of the boat on the second page of the thread. All of the early through mid-1980's era Firsts are exceptional boats.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-23-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Thanks for the link, it is helpful

BTW, How much tankage do you have on your 42? Does it have enough for long distance ocean voyage? Is there room to add an additional tank for water? TIA.

Cheers

Fine Print:
Old 09-23-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I think a "true bluewater boat" is able to sail efficiently on all points of sail. It can handle a 6 mph breeze and an offshore gale. It is well built. It is safe below with good handholds and a galley that works at an angle. It has good tankage. It has efficient deck gear and a strong rig. It can be designed to a rule but shouldn't have distortions for that rule. It doesn't need a lot of crew on the rail. It has a smallish cockpit well that drains quickly and a companionway that isn't too large, preferably with close to vertical sides.

I think too many people think bluewater means overbuilt and slow.

The First series, some Wauquiez boats, Morris boats, and many others qualify as "bluewater".
Attached Thumbnails
Beneteau First 38 and equivalents?-1.jpg