Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
formosas?

So shiver me timbers, this is damn near a pirate ship. I heard they make these things with a glass hull, which would ease my mind greatly, as I have a lack of knowledge about wood boats, and a million planks sounds like a million points of failure to me. Wood decks could be a maintenance issue, but I think the look, and built in non-skidness (new word?) may make up for it. and they apear from the pictures to have a ton of room down below which leaves only one question....

Do they sail?

If anyone has any info on these beautifull beasts, let me know. Also, any resorces online where I could find out about them would be apreciated. Thanks.

-- James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
formosas?

They occasionally sail, but not usually and not well. These are fashion statements, and poorly built ones at that.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2003

KenD is on a distinguished road
formosas?

Have you seen the 41 foot formosas with the carved doors and the hand carved bird of paradise and dragon each about three feet long on the bulkhead just forward of the companionway as you go below you have to see them to believe it.They will cause a crowd to stop and look in any port. That''s the good part,the bad part is they draw about six feet don''t use space very well,and of course they aren''t built very well as jeff pointed out.
Old 04-29-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
formosas?

so, are there other boats of the tall, almost pir8 ship looking, and beautifull line that I can fantasize about? personaly, I''m looking at getting a little triton, but I still like to dream big. Thoughts on boats of that style which are good sailers?

-- James
Old 04-29-2003

hicks is on a distinguished road
formosas?

Jeff, what speed standards do you use, in judging sailing performance. I ask because my boat will only get about 175 miles a day.130 to 150 a usual average. The other voyagers I meet almost universaly plan for a 125 mile average .Shurly those Tiwanise boats will do that? We are talking 10 to 20 knot trades.
Old 04-29-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
formosas?

When I talk about a boat being comparatively slor I think about how boats behave in a wide range of conditions. There are a lot of boats that will sail at close to their hullspeed reaching in 20 knots of breeze but unfortunately, what goes down must come up and sailing the venues (mostly up and down the US Atlantic coast) that I have spent my time means dealing with beating in light and heavy air as well as sailing on all points of sail in a wide range of windspeeds.

It is not just the top speeds that a boat can achieve but the consistency with with these speeds can be held. I can give the example of a sistership of my boat (which I don''t think of as being all that fast) that made a single-handed passage from South Africa to the Carribean about a year or so ago. The top speed that was hit was 16 knots and stayed above 10 knots for much of the time. Dispite these high speeds the boat averaged 175 miles per day for the first 10 days while in the South Atlantic and managed to average 150 miles a day including sailing through the doldrums. He reported using roughly 17 gallons of fuel and did almost no motoring except to charge batteries.

He left Capetown with a more traditional boat that completed the same passage but took weeks longer and used substantially more fuel.

When I think of most modern coastal cruisers and the more modern offshore boats as being moderately fast, I would expect a moderately fast 42 plus footer to have a PHRF rating somewhere down around 50 to 60 or so with a rating over 100 being pretty slow. So when I see the Formosa 45 with ratings between 111 and 153 that strikes me as slow. But more to the point, in the kind of variable conditions that are typical on the US Atlantic coast, boats like these would have very limited opportunity to sail. I remember talking to a fellow with a CT41 who came back from the Bahamas saying there was almost never a day that he could actually sail from place to place. While that is too small a sampling to be meaningful, and we weren''t there ourselves to see what he encountered, that still seems more likely with these high wetted surface, low sail area per pound boats.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.