Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010

jadkkd is on a distinguished road
is it worth an extra 20 grand for 8 years??

So I'm looking to buy a used Alerion 28. There are several 1998 boats on the market. I can buy a newer boat (2006) for about $20,000 more. Is it worth the extra money to get the newer boat? The 2006 has a 14 hp yanmar diesel and the 1998 is the smaller diesel. Everything in both boats are the original. The 1998 has some interior cosmetic issues but both boats are sound.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
I think not. $20K can buy a lot of upgrades.

The only issue I would have is how underpowered is the older engine? How many hours on the older engine? Are the sails in the same condition? What are the actual asking prices, just wondering what the ratio is not the price difference.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
My initial reaction is that...$20,000 extra for a a boat 8 years newer..and only 4 years old...seems on the surface like a better deal to me...if you have the $......

that's $2500. per year...how does that size up to the avg. depreciation rate..on this vessel?

Everything on the 98 is 12 years old now and you have cosmetic issues..and a smaller engine. How do the sails look? Running rigging? Standing rigging... on the 98....lightly or heavily used?
Old 09-27-2010

It"s an 8 hp yanmar diesel vs. a 14 hp yanmar in the 2006. The 1998 has seen little use the past few years(not even put in the water this past season) but still the sails and rigging although usable are not as good as the 2006. That's what concerns me, the 1998 certainly can be bought alot cheaper but in 4 years what have I got? Just looking at yachtworld most of the Alerions for sale are all 1996 to 1999. Seems like the vintage that people want to get rid of.
Old 09-27-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
It could be that folks now have the 10 yr itch it you will to get rid of the boats, OR, there may be more boats built during that time frame, hence more for sale. The latter comment may be worth looking up if there is a website that says how many were built during any given yr. or at least how many total have been built.

Then depending upon cost, a new one could be a better deal too. Not saying it is, just pointing out, that if the older one is 40K less than new, the newer 20K less than new........

The newer one could be the better deal on all reality.

marty
Old 09-27-2010

newer one asking in the 80's older one asking in the 60's. New one sitting at the newport show that was built and the owner saw the new Alerion 33 with tiller and ordered one and put the 28 up for sale was in the 130's could be bought in the 120's.
Old 09-27-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
1. If the 2006 is in excellent shape (it should be)
2. You have the money and won't cause you any hardship if case thing does not work out.

It is no brainer, get the 2006 because
1. Newer boat and less headache and less repair over next 5 year
2. Resale better later
3. Happier owner.

Just remember, it is a buyer market, be brutal. Take advantage of it. . If you feel guilty of saving too much money, you can always donate to organization of your choice.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 09-27-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
if the older boat has not been used much i would have some concerns about how well they maintained her over that time, as well as how diligent they were about maintaince even when they were using her.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-27-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Cool Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadkkd View Post
So I'm looking to buy a used Alerion 28. There are several 1998 boats on the market. I can buy a newer boat (2006) for about $20,000 more. Is it worth the extra money to get the newer boat? The 2006 has a 14 hp yanmar diesel and the 1998 is the smaller diesel. Everything in both boats are the original. The 1998 has some interior cosmetic issues but both boats are sound.
I too have been considering an A-28, after a wonderful trial sail in one down the Bay area.
One caveat is that most of the newer ones I see on the market have the dreaded sail drive installed instead of the shaft drive in the earlier ones.

Between the regular bellows replacement (7 years per a Volvo bulletin), and the constant threat of losing the aluminum lower unit to electrolysis and/or corrosion, I would not want one of those. They save the builder a lot of money, but only to pass the increased maint. costs downstream to the owners in due course.
Opinions rendered on the hour -- deposit one cent please.
L
Old 09-27-2010

I never thought of that. So are you suggesting that their claim of the engine needed a few more horsepower was a disguise for cheaper build costs? I've talked to a few guys in San Francisco that wishe they had the larger diesel.