SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest 30

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeff_H 
#1 ·
I''ve found a Contest 30 for sale at a local marina. I know they are a dutch built boat, but that is about it. Anyone have any input on this boat? I don''t like the fact that it is a narrow boat (compared to some of the other 30 footers I''ve seen). But, the price seems to be right. Anyone know what to look for?

#2 ·
I am a duthmen and am familiar with Contest. My father currently has a Contest 34. Before he had a Contest 28. Contest is a very high quality boat which could be used for ofshore sailing. Compared to high production boats such as Catalina Hunter Bavaria, you will find that contest is much higher grade. The new Contest''s that are being sold are in the same quality range as Halberg Rassy, Najad. However also in the same price range.

Good luck

#3 ·
Didn''t Tanya Abei take a Contest 26 around the world? Beam seems to be a function of how old the boat is; boats seem to have been getting wider since the 70''s. Narrow boats can sail nicely, as can beamy ones. The narrow boats are narrow, the beamy ones beamy. If you like the boat, make an offer and have her surveyed.

#4 ·
Tanya Abei sailed a Contessa 26 which is a English variant on the Folkboat. It has no relationship to the Contest 30''s which were fin keel spade rudder designs built at Conyplex in Holland.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.