Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pacific Northwest / Mexico
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Hunter, Catalina, and Beneteau''''s 28-30'''' or what?
Last year I was looking at many of the same types of boats that you have expressed an interest in considering.
Here are a few of my observations:
- Some of the Catalina''s had the worst layouts / installation of water and fuel tanks. As you look at different boats - ask yourself, how hard would it be to replace the tanks.
- I did not look at older Hunter''s - my experience looking at newer Hunter''s lead me to believe that there might be better quality boats from other vendors...for less money.
- Compared to Catalina''s - I really liked the Ericson''s that I looked at.
- The older Columbia''s I looked at gave me a sense of "solid" hull construction. Nothing too terribly scientific in that analysis - just the feeling of moving about on the boat - and tapping the hulls.
- I have been reading many reviews, ship logs, and books of voyage accounts - also many accounts of retrofits of typical coastal cruisers for doing off-shore work...in that vein, I have been lead to believe that the Cal-25, Cape Dory, Tartan, and Pearson Triton are worth considering.
For an interesting read, visit