Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
I gotta admit - I'm still sitting on some property I inherited from my Dad. The current market value is about HALF what it was when it was last assessed. I can't make myself let go of it for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
That boat is still for sale but the listing was made in August 2010, over a full year ago. Maybe if they wait a little longer, the market will come back up. Another four or five years.

I wonder what the yard bills are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Ture, but real estate markets often appreciate, or overappreciate, while boats tend to be more expensive just to own. Prime yard rates, insurance, water always finding a way to get in, and the selling price rarely is going to go up 25% or 50% in five or ten years, as real estate sometimes does.

When they say multiple owners have spent 15 years doing restoration and maintenance...and the boat still needs major work and has spruce sticks, which need constant varnishing and maintenance or else they'll find a fast way to rot apart and require expensive replacement?

Boats are like prime steak or ripe fruit. Use it and enjoy, or don't use it, but either way it isn't going to get any better after too much time on the shelf.

The real estate has a lot more investment potential. Matter of fact...sell the boat to the best offer, put the money into depressed housing. I know, real estate can be a tear-down money-pit also, but if the goal is to SELL something...why not sell it and stop the yard bills? Or at least, be brave and put a price on it, instead of asking for offers.
Old 10-26-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Merc, but we don't know when the pics were taken.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-26-2011

MarioG is on a distinguished road
My Chrysler C-22 was on hard for 15 years before I pulled it out of a back yard. It took 4 cleanings to get all the mud dobbers wasp nest out but the boat was still in great shape.
Old 10-26-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Looked for an Alberg 35 about 4 years ago and finally found one to bring back to life. It was January. The cockpit was full to the brim with solid ice that took almost a day to chip out. The deck core was shot, which I had expected but the hull and interior were in good shape even after many years in the yard. I bought her as a project boat for 9K. She had an almost new Yanmar. After a couple of years, a lot of work and a lot of money, I now have a boat with all new electronics, new rigging, windvane and more than I can list here. She is a seaworthy classic, fit to go anywhere although there is always more work to do. These older boats can be great projects only if you do the work yourself and know from the start what you're getting into. If you tackle one, don't go in expecting it to be any cheaper than just buying a boat that someone else has already renovated. I may well sell this one when she's all done and look for an A37 or a P40 to do next.
Old 10-30-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Look very,very carefully where the stands were pressed against the hull for deformation.
Old 10-30-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
How serious a problem is hull deformation from jackstands?

I had read that the fiberglass hull is flexible and will pop back out as long as it was not severely deformed.
Old 10-30-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
I'd imagine that if there's deformation from 15years, it won't be "popping back out" anytime soon.
mitiempo likes this.
Old 10-30-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
A solid hull with deformation might not be an issue - solid hulls tend to have big margin of safety structurally.

However, a cored hull might have a greater issue if the core was crushed.

Extent of concern would require knowimg the construction as well as having understanding where the deformation occurs.