Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010

eckcn17 is on a distinguished road
Need Help with first Cruising boat purchase please

Hello,
My new wife and I are looking to purchase our first sailboat. We are both in our late twenties and I have a decent amount of sailing experience. We are going to be cruising on Lake Michigan for long weekends etc. by ourselves and with other couples. We are looking for any info/help with our purchase, our max budget is lower 20,000's. We have found a 1981 C&C 32 that is in pretty good shape. We have looked at the boat twice and both really like it and I am a person that appreciates quality/durability/ and seaworthiness (is that a word?) We have looked at a dozen boats or so and I really like the build quality and lines of the C&C. We have now looked at a few Hunter 34's online, and they seem to be a great value and quite a bit more boat for the $$. I have found a few Hunters that are 3- 5 yrs newer, with larger Yanmars, and allot more room & amenities down below compared to the C&C for actually a few thousand less $. To say the least, I am now back to a state of confusion and could use any advice/info you would have considering our situation. Also we do not have kids now, or in the near future.
Thanks in advance!
Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
What you don't see is the always a surprise when you do finally see the hidden things. Chain plates, keel bolts, bottoms cracked and even blistered, swollen rudders, loose cutlass bearings, bad fuel tanks, bad fuel systems.
I'm guessing any boats in the water that your looking at now will soon be on the hard,that's a plus, you won't have to pay for a haul out on a survey if your timing is spot on

Hope this helps some.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2010

Thanks!
We looked at the C&C out of the water today, we are planning on a survey after we decide on a boat. The bottom looked great except for a small crack around the front of the keel.
Old 10-10-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckcn17 View Post
Thanks!
We looked at the C&C out of the water today, we are planning on a survey after we decide on a boat. The bottom looked great except for a small crack around the front of the keel.
Affectionately referred to as the C&C smile - it might be nothing. I understand that that it can result from overtensioning the backstay. It might also be an indication of a close encounter of the keel with the bottom. The surveyor should be able to give an opinion.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-10-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Normal C&C Smile proably but let the surveyor check out before buying. Great bit if difference between the C&C and Hunters. Equipemtn quality such as winches...chainplates...bulkheads....thinckness of fiberglass etc.

If all things equal in survey of majopr systems in theboat..take the C&C. Generally a better sailing boat. There is a reason the 3-5 year new Hunter is cheaper than the C&C..build quality = holding value better . This said of course not knowing the indivigual condition of each of the boats.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-10-2010

Thank you very much chef2sail.. Just the type of info we are looking for!
Old 10-11-2010

@ chef2sail:
What year is your C&C? & how has it held up? Also you would still pick the C&C even though it is 2 ft smaller?
Thanks
Old 10-11-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The C&C 32 is a design from the 80s, a good sailing boat with an interior that will be less spacious (but likely more practical) than some of the newer designs like Hunters. Hunter does a great job of their interiors and they are roomier in many ways than a lot of their competitors.

Most of the successful mainstream brands will suffice for general coastal cruising, and it will probably boil down to individual boat condition, upkeep and maintenance history - along with upgrades and additions (electronics, canvas, windlass etc) - and other less tangible things like how she 'feels', the rapport with the broker or owners.

C&C owners are very loyal, a well maintained C&C, at least into the late 80s will be a good boat for anyone. There's got to be a reason for that loyalty and support.

It's hard to beat Catalina for support from the builder - they're still in business, and are well known for their record keeping and ability to support even the oldest models still in terms of parts and information.

And there are a lot of happy Hunter owners too. It's down to you to do the research and find a boat that 'speaks' to you both....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-11-2010

Thank you for the input!
Old 10-12-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
For more on the C&C 32 see Perry Review - C&C 32 and 32 Foot Owners Group. If the boat you are considering has been reasonably well cared for it's a good choice.

Good luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."