Starter Sailboat advise needed. Have detail profile of need. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2001

henryvand is on a distinguished road
Starter Sailboat advise needed. Have detail profile of need.

I recently traded in my Tanzer 8.5 for a larger boat. I would recommend this boat highly for your needs. It is solid, performs well, can easily handle lake conditions, easy to single hand, (which I did often), and has a large interior for a 28 footer of earlier vintage. You must have an inboard to be certain that you can keep you prop in the water when the big waves come up. A diesel is also the way to go. The T8.5 has a Yanmar diesel. This boat would fall well within your price range - suggest you check out Canadian listings at www.computerboatsearch.com - prices are in Can dollars so multiply by .68 - shipping to your area would should be reasonable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2001

mdf007 is on a distinguished road

I too am looking for a starter sailboat that is as big as my budget will allow (~$30K). I have seen many boats that interest me, from a Catalina 27 to a Hunter 36. Is a Hunter 36 too big for someone with only dingy and cat experience? Is there something wrong with Hunters? Durability?

I want to be comfortable for overnights and liveaboard (on weekends), but I don''t want to get in over my head. I will take classes to learn more about cruising.

Thanks for your advise.
Old 02-05-2001

osaez is on a distinguished road

I''ve done quite a bit of research since I started this posting here. I don''t mean this as a slam to some brand (Disclaimer: This comentary is based on input and not on any manufacturer endorsement)

I''ve been told to stay away from the Catalina, MacGregor, Hunters and look for Cape Dory, Cal, Pearsons, etc. Although most of the later companies are out of business, the quality of boat make a big difference and should be a priority. I''ve heard, good value, look for 15-10 years old or better. Research, research and if you''re new in this, get a good broker. It makes a difference and it''s well worth the price to avoid a mistake on a serious oversight.
Old 02-05-2001

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road

There seems to be confusion as to the place where the boat will be used. I would listen to experianced sailors like hamian and not those saying to stay away from a particular brand unless they are aware of the specific application.

There is a big difference between a boat that can be trailered to a lake and one that will be able to take a line squall on Lake Michigan and that the wife will want to get back on after it''s over.

On a lake where you can swim to the furthest shore almost anything will do. To take a small boat out of Newport, RI and see those breakers on the Beavertail is something else.

For big waters I would like a 30'' boat as a starter.

Old 02-05-2001

osaez is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your clarification. I agree. I''m looking specifically for Lake Michigan and still wondering if a non-trailable 24'' will do, although the 28'' has some clear advantages on interior space. Word of Caution: Even though is not off-shore, it''s not advisable to swim across Lake Michigan :-)
Old 02-05-2001

mdf007 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback. I want to clarify that I plan to be sailing only in the Gulf of Mexico on the Florida Coast.

I am not hung up on brand, only looking at 10-20 year old boats priced at a value. Thus far I see mostly Catalinas and Hunters. My biggest concern is if a 36'' boat is too ambitious for a first cruiser; however, I do like the idea of the size for friends and living.

Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2001

sammyo is on a distinguished road

I''ve crewed and raced frequently for about 10 years and finally found a great deal on a 25 footer (Hughes ''68). Once it''s on the water I''ll have no trouble sailing but getting her in shape, whew! The list keeps growing and I seem to just remove things, uncover something else and remove more. I''m really glad a didn''t find a killer deal on much bigger. Are you really handy and good with the mechanicals and electric issues? Have you added up the incidental costs? A galon of bottom paint (more than enough for 25'', may not be enough for 36) is $100 plus. Look at the cost of outfiting for single handed sailing, roller furling systems and such. And, for such a small boat, so much sanding!
Old 03-13-2010
Bruce

Gangfurd is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up You Can't Go Wrong With A Cal

Bill Lapworth caused a revolution when he pioneered his famous rudder and hull design, first perfected in the Cal 28, and then later designed into the Sailboat Hall of Fame classic, the Cal 40.

Check out all of the Cal Boats on this web site:

Cal 28 Sailboat Cal Boats Jensen Marine Cal 28 Bill Lathrop Jack Jensen Good Old Boat
Old 03-13-2010

Mark1948 is on a distinguished road
I am on Lake Michigan and sail a Catalina 27 along with many others.
Works quite well.
Old 03-14-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Someone said to only look for diesel inboards. Don't get hung up on this. There are many, many solid Atomic 4's out there. These are great engines. My boat has one that is 36 years old and is still going strong. With very basic precautions gas engines are as safe a diesel.