Starter Sailboat advise needed. Have detail profile of need. - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2001

osaez is on a distinguished road
Starter Sailboat advise needed. Have detail profile of need.

I''m looking for a good starter sailboat. Always dreamed about having one and can finally afford it! Love water, but have always crew along instead of taking the steer myself. Would really appreciate good advice. Too many choices. What brand, year and model are the best fit for me?

Have done some sailing myself, but I''m going this spring for some serious training to be better at it.

My wife and 13 year daugther will be complete my crew. Live in the Chicago area and would sail in Lake Michigan and Lake Geneva (a 4x7 mile lake in southern Wisconsin).

Interested in a boat that needs little work or minimum maintanence. Prefer used over new for cost reasons.

Would prefer a boat that I can go solo if needed.

Purpose is mainly crusing, not racing.

Trailable would be nice although not necessary.

Budget between $15K - 25K.

Again, thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2001

How about a Cope Dory or Catalina 28''-30''? I''ve been told to stay away from Hunter MacGregor and Benetau because of resell value and durability.
Old 02-01-2001

BigZ is on a distinguished road

You''d be better off defining whether you will trailer the boat or not. Lake Michigan is a big difference than Lake Geneva. The boats you mentioned are not easily trailerable and would be a pain to set up.

Your budget is good for a used boat in the mid to upper 20 ft range. And they all should be easily single-handed. Forget about no maintenance; they all need some maintenance. Just get a survey before you buy to detect any major repairs.

Before you buy you might want to talk with your sailing instructor this spring to get further suggestions.

Good luck

Chet
Old 02-01-2001

Thanks a lot for your input. I learned that you can a get a lot more boat if you choose non-trailable. I''ve been to Lake Geneva and felt that Lake Michigan would be intimidating. I''m learning that a few feet would go a long way to have more stability in Lake Michigan. So, no trail and only lake Michigan. So far so good. I can''t wait for spring... and a boat.
Old 02-01-2001

mattfarrell is on a distinguished road

Try 28-30 foot Cal. They are super well built, pretty, and fairly roomy. Go bigger if you have concerns as once you can dock your boat, a few feet means nothing sailing, but a lot for comfort. Lapworth designed some beauties. Also, up by you, look for Hinterhoeller Niagara''s, and C&C''s. ....also, NO such thing as a low maintenance boat.
Old 02-01-2001

mattfarrell is on a distinguished road

Try 28-30 foot Cal. They are super well built, pretty, and fairly roomy. Go bigger if you have concerns as once you can dock your boat, a few feet means nothing sailing, but a lot for comfort. Lapworth designed some beauties. Also, up by you, look for Hinterhoeller Niagara''s, and C&C''s. ....also, NO such thing as a low maintenance boat.
Old 02-02-2001

hamiam is on a distinguished road

First and foremost, I think you need to look at the conditions you will normally be sailing in. What are the typical winds and chop on Lake Michigan? Take Newport, RI, where I sail out of vs. say the Chesapeake. Afternoon winds in the summer in Newport are typically 15+ knots and the chop in the bay is typically 1 foot or less while you can count on much lighter winds in the heat of the summer in the Chesapeake. You also need to consider the depth of the crusing area; we never have a problem with our 6.5'' draught but the Lake may be a different story. If you can get us some of these details, I think a much better accessment of the proper boat can be made.
Old 02-02-2001

Thanks for the input. Not sure about the conditions of Lake Michigan or how it compares with RI. Draught should not be a problem.

In a boat show today in Chicago, I picked on a 1990 Pearson 27. I''ve been told that this is a great little starter with good disp ratio, room and it holds it value well. Asking price is about $26K. Thoughts?
Old 02-02-2001

Bluewaterfrog is on a distinguished road

I am also looking for a good starter boat. I haven''t sailed in 10 years and will be releaning this spring.I have heard good things on the Person and several persons here have mention Cal 28-30; what of the Catalina 270s? Long ago I sailed an O''Day 27 on the St. Johns River and coastal N. Fla. and I am looking for something more comfotable(I have small childen now). Thanks for any opinons.
Old 02-02-2001

Bluewaterfrog is on a distinguished road

I am also looking for a good starter boat. I haven''t sailed in 10 years and will be releaning this spring.I have heard good things on the Person and several persons here have mention Cal 28-30; what of the Catalina 270s? Long ago I sailed an O''Day 27 on the St. Johns River and coastal N. Fla. and I am looking for something more comfotable(I have small childen now). Thanks for any opinons.