Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010

DubeJ is on a distinguished road
First Boat Search

Hey everyone, I am looking for my first boat. I have been sailing for a few years, and am comfortable but never have REALLY done serious sailing, as in never more than 2-3 hours out at a time. I rent boats from a military base, as it is the most affordable around. That said, you cannot do much with the boats and they are not allowed to overnight. Sooooo
I am looking to purchase my first boat. I have a budget of a few k, and it seems that there are a few options out there. I am looking for something around 22-30 ft, and in good enough condition to sail without too much work. know that with an older ship, there will always be a bit of work, but you know what I mean.
Any way, the point of this thread: I have seen a few options and I am wondering what people's opinion of different ships are as in, Catalina, Hunter, Lancer, Macgregor, Ericson...etc...
I really don't know too much, again this is my first one, and I apologize if this is already a thread, so do not get to technical please. I like to just keep stuff simple....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Where are you going to be sailing?
Who will be sailing with you?
What kind of balance between comfort and sailing performance are you looking for?
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2010

DubeJ is on a distinguished road
I will be sailing the southern coast of California. When it comes to all that you mentioned, I do not know the difference. I have only sailed Catalinas, so I would not be able to compare. I think more relax is my thing, so not really looking to get anywhere fast.
Old 10-15-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
In this depressed economy, boats are being abandonded, clogging up harbors and marinas at a distressing rate. You should easily be able to pick up a sail-able boat in the size and budget constraints that you mentioned.

There are 2 Pearson 30's for sale here for less than $7000. I picked up my boat for $1800 with a new OB. I'm into it for another $2k or so, in new sails and boat bling.

I think your biggest problem is going to be deciding between all of the boats you can choose from.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just be careful of any really "Bargain-priced" boats, as many will have a negative real value... in that you would have to spend more to bring the boat to sailable shape than it is worth.

I'd recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether a boat you're looking at is worth going any further with and save you the cost of a survey on those that aren't.

There are plenty of small boats in the 22-30' range, but there is a huge difference between a 22' boat and a 30' boat. A 30' boat is going to be a lot larger, heavier and usually more complex than a 22' boat. Most 22' boats are going to be outboard powered with very limited head and galley facilities and a relatively simple plumbing and electrical systems. A 30' is not 36% larger than a 22' boat as the length would suggest, but more like 250% the size, as the boat will be longer, wider and deeper. It will likely cost twice as much to maintain as the smaller boat. However, it will be far more comfortable and in most cases far more capable than the smaller boat.

As for what boat to get...there are plenty that would do, but it really depends on what your specific intentions for the boat are. If you're into racing and just day sailing, then something like an Etchells 30 might be a good fit... if you're looking to liveaboard and coastal cruise, a Benehuntalina in the 30' range might be an excellent choice, if you're looking to cross oceans, then something like a Norsea 27 might be a better choice. Figure out how you want to use the boat and then pick the boat based on what is best suited for your intended uses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-15-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
your decision will largely be predicated by your budget...

i would suggest you take a day to go to a marina with a decent number of boats for sale and climb around diff models to see what you like. if you plan on many overnights/weekends on the hook headroom is a bit of a consideration, as i found long periods of crouching about the cabin are uncomfortable, just my .02.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 10-15-2010

COOL is on a distinguished road
There are many 20-25' boats available for very little
money in So Cal. Nearly every marina has a dock
full of small boats you can pick up for back rent,
or sometimes little to nothing. You just have to
remove the boat from the marina.
Your primary decision is between keeping
the boat in the water, or on a trailer.
A Catalina 25 would be a good in the water boat,
or an old Venture 22 or 25 would be fine for trailering
and ramp launching.
I would avoid the small Lancers, as they have
very ineffective shoal draft keels, and do not
sail well upwind.

Last edited by COOL; 10-15-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Just be careful of any really "Bargain-priced" boats, as many will have a negative real value... in that you would have to spend more to bring the boat to sailable shape than it is worth.

I'd recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether a boat you're looking at is worth going any further with and save you the cost of a survey on those that aren't.

There are plenty of small boats in the 22-30' range, but there is a huge difference between a 22' boat and a 30' boat. A 30' boat is going to be a lot larger, heavier and usually more complex than a 22' boat. Most 22' boats are going to be outboard powered with very limited head and galley facilities and a relatively simple plumbing and electrical systems. A 30' is not 36% larger than a 22' boat as the length would suggest, but more like 250% the size, as the boat will be longer, wider and deeper. It will likely cost twice as much to maintain as the smaller boat. However, it will be far more comfortable and in most cases far more capable than the smaller boat.

As for what boat to get...there are plenty that would do, but it really depends on what your specific intentions for the boat are. If you're into racing and just day sailing, then something like an Etchells 30 might be a good fit... if you're looking to liveaboard and coastal cruise, a Benehuntalina in the 30' range might be an excellent choice, if you're looking to cross oceans, then something like a Norsea 27 might be a better choice. Figure out how you want to use the boat and then pick the boat based on what is best suited for your intended uses.
Print this out. Laminate it. Carry a copy with you when shopping. Put another copy on your fridge door...

The opening sentence is especially important! Finally, that last sentence should be memorized, also.
Old 10-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks Olson...

Print out the first post of the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread while you're at it.

BTW, don't focus on price—FOCUS ON VALUE. You don't want a cheap boat—you want a good boat at a good price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
Print this out. Laminate it. Carry a copy with you when shopping. Put another copy on your fridge door...

The opening sentence is especially important! Finally, that last sentence should be memorized, also.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-15-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubeJ View Post
I will be sailing the southern coast of California. When it comes to all that you mentioned, I do not know the difference. I have only sailed Catalinas, so I would not be able to compare. I think more relax is my thing, so not really looking to get anywhere fast.
If you are active duty, then you also have to consider what to do when/if you get transferred. If you are retired, or will be leaving the service before being moved, then that is a different consideration.

Where and what type of sailing you are going to be doing makes a difference. I'm not terribly familiar with SoCal sailing, but my impression is that most boats leave the marina, sail for a day out in the ocean, then return to the marina. You can make a trip to Catalina or the Channel Islands, but other than that I don't know where you would actually "go" for a weekend.

So this will dictate your choice of boats. If the above is the case, then you want a boat that is a comfortable daysailer/weekender. For those purposes, a Catalina or similar in the 25-27 ft range would be ideal. However, if you are wanting to do some coastal cruising, which on the the West Coast means some significant time exposed, then you may want a different type of boat.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on