Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2003

me262 is on a distinguished road
Texas to Central Am/Caribbean

Can''t hurt to ask the expert''s!!!

I have been boat shopping for a few months. Not much to pick from in Texas, especially when your eyes are much bigger than your bank account!

Am looking for a capable boat to cruise from Texas, down the coast of Mexico, to Central America. Then, possibly, on to the Carib. I would be primarily living aboard, with excursions into various countries. I scuba and snorkle. There would be myself and my buddy (co-captain!) on board. I am looking at an Elite 29 in GREAT shape. I like the layout of the cabin and it is the cleanest boat I have seen so far. Assuming upgrading the electronics and scrapping the ruined diesel for an outboard, I figure total cost for boat/cruising gear at $9-10K. What do you guys think? Any better ideas???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

To begin with I have never been that impressed with the Elites both from a build quaility and sailing characteristics standpoint. While Elites have some nice features my actual experiences with these boats suggest to me that they are in the same build quality range as a Hunter, Catalina or Beneteau, but selling (in good shape)at substanially higher prices. As to sailing abilities, these are very beamy boats with a lot of flair to their topsides and a fairly blunt bow. Sailed reasonably level and in flat water they sail reasonably well but are very hard to sail well and comfortably in a stiff breeze and a chop. I found that in gusty conditions, especially when combined with a steep chop this boat has a propensity to suddenly round up more agressively than almost any other boat that I have sailed in the past 10 years. This would not exactly make this an ideal boat for this kind of trip.

Because of this boats hull form, I would suggest that this is a very poor choice to convert to an outboard. The shape of the hull is such that it would tend to ''jack'' the transom out of the water and so in any real breeze you could not run the engine while sailing. There are times when you are cruising that you need to run the engine to recharge the batteries in order to run the running lights or autopilot (these boats are not a good choice for a windvane because of thier sailing characteristics).

I assume that you are looking at the Elite 30 in Kemah Tx. I do not understand why it is priced $25,000 below its market value. If you do move ahead with the Elite, you will need to have it surveyed because there may be more problems with this boat than meets the eye.

Assuming that you did buy the boat to go cruising, I would figure that you will probably end up putting $10-15000 beyond the purchase price into the boat to get her ready. You can expect to replace at least the mainsail (it looks original and poorly treated) and add a 80 to 90% jib for heavier conditions. You will need to add additional battery capacity and charging capacity, you will need to add additional fuel capacity (especially if you go to an outboard). If you go to an outboard you will need to add bilge blowers, and swap out all of the switches and electrical components for explosion proof components. You will need to add proper ground tackle and handling gear. You can expect to change out a lot of little things such as the plexiglas portlights and plastic sheave blocks which at 18 years old in the Texas sun are probably at the end of their useful lifespan.

While this may not be an ideal boat for your venture it seems like a bargain if it is in solid shape (something that I am skeptical of). Good luck whatever you decide to do here.

Jeff
Old 05-05-2003

capnjim02 is on a distinguished road

I''m not familar with the 30 but a friend has a 324 and its a nightmare to sail in a stiff breese or gusting conditions. It wants to round up much to easily and unpredictibaly, with total loss of control. you seem to have to really reduce sail area early on this boat. you can minimise this if you have someone on the main constantly, which is fine if your racing and have a mainsail trimmer thats able to read the puffs well and early.
Old 05-05-2003

me262 is on a distinguished road

Jeff.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the boat is in Kemah. One reason for the price is: 1: It''s a 29, not a 30, and 2: no engine! That''s why the consideration for the outboard comes into play. Boat seems to be in very good shape otherwise, but am having a survey done tomorrow. After all this, a deal was struck for $5500. Your right about the transom coming up. It''s evident in the slip without the added weight of the engine/trans. Any ideas about a motor swap?

Thanks!
Dan
Old 05-05-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

If I remember right, the 29 and 30s (special) were very similar boats with the 29 being slightly optimized as a race boat with an open interior layout. That should not affect the price all that much. I strongly suggest that you have the boat surveyed because the potential problems with these boats can far exceed their overall value.

As to an engine choice, I am a big fan of the Yanmar 2GM. You should be able to find a rebuilt one pretty cheaply.

Jeff