Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

But I'll also venture that the cockpit is not that short-crew friendly with a cross-cockpit traveler, runner winches aft and sheet winches well forward and inboard to boot.
It wouldn't be hard at all to double hand, matter of fact, ID and his wife won the NFS jack and jill division of 'Race to the Straights' this past May.

The boat needs the check stays to tension the forestay, but they are not structural, so if you don't get them on right away, no big deal if you're cruising. The helm can reach many of the sheets and sail controls. Inboard winches are great, but not common because they take up seating space.

OP, 'Ishtarsdog' ... sorry about that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If I was looking for sporty, something to have fun in..........
probably a Laser SB3, mumm/farr 30, rocket 22 or some equal to those types of sport boats. I'd skip a fast race cruise model.

Granted Wylies in general are fast boats. I really doubt there are any slugs by that designer per say.

Signature in Seattle, has a Fist 310 they are taking in trade or equal on a new first 35. IIRC mid $40K. So a bit more....

Marty
Old 10-21-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
If I was looking for sporty, something to have fun in..........
probably a Laser SB3, mumm/farr 30, rocket 22 or some equal to those types of sport boats. I'd skip a fast race cruise model.

Granted Wylies in general are fast boats. I really doubt there are any slugs by that designer per say.

Marty
Ahh,
Marty, I have a confession.
I actually plan to cruise this potential vessel through-out the PNW, either single-handed or with with the nemiester, so the rocket ships are not really an option. I just want a damn fine sailer, you know?
Old 10-21-2010

In that case.......that first 310 I mentioned in seattle might be a good boat. Or the wylie or other boats like it. I should probably go read you comprimise thread and see what that is about too eh!
Old 05-12-2011

envirocom is on a distinguished road
Wylie

Can't comment on this specific boat, but I've owned a Wylie 34 for 10 years and have nothing but good memories of its sailing qualities. Be careful to examine port side chainplate attachment, which may need to be reinforced. There was some problem with the port side attachment "oilcanning" the hull if it hasn't been reinforced with glass tubes or something similar (a very simple owner installation).

My Wylie is a J-killer on the race course. Very simple, mechanical systems. I singlehand to Maine coast each year, with great success.
Old 05-13-2011

Envirocom,
Thanks for the post on your Wylie 34.
It's currently on my short list.
Old 05-13-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
A few others to look at if you're thinking 33-34': Olson 34, Express 34, j-33, Frers 33.
All great sailing boats, cruisible, and faster than the Wiley, though may cost more. A little smaller, and an Olson 911s or se would also be a great boat that performs well and cruises comfortably.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 05-13-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2011

Hey Puddinlegs,
34' is my absolute max. I'm thinking 'less is more'.
So with that in mind, my short list is as follows:

Express 27
J29
J30
C&C 1/2 Tonner
J92
Olson 30
Frers 30
Aloha 30
Kirby 30
S-2 9.1
Cal 9.2
Erickson 911SE
Hobie 33
Gorman Express 30

My list has grown a bit.
But before I pull the trigger on any one of them, I have to sell my other boat first, which isn't happening quickly enough for me.

So, I'm now toying with the idea of moving my boat down to California, then Mexico, but that is a whole new thread I guess.
Old 05-13-2011

Andy,

IIRC the Cal 9.2 is a Jeanneau Rush, but built here in the states. "IF" you see one of these around, take a look at it also.

I also believe the J29 and 30 have the same hulls, different cabin, rig etc. May be more SH doable vs a 30. Pudding may have a better feel on that than I do.

There are also some Jeanneau Attalia's floating around a bit more modern version of the Rush/C9.2, about the same to slightly faster, ie less than 10-15 secs faster......Looking up phrf, the Attalia is 144-174, 9.2 derivatives 155-174, the Rush is not listed at USSA. Must not be enough to get a listing in the rating list. The Attalia is probably a better handling boat with a slightly wider stern than the 9.2/Rush.

If you like the Kirby 30, a San Juan 30 is really similar if not the same. Or the SJ is based on the K30, but slightly different due to a few odds and ends. It is an IOR Halfton the Kirby designed IIRC. Or Kirby's Laser 28 might work, altho probably not quite as nice an interior as the others on the list. THere are a few of those around here too. about a 145 rating.

Marty
Old 05-13-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
If you like the Kirby 30, a San Juan 30 is really similar if not the same. Or the SJ is based on the K30, but slightly different due to a few odds and ends. It is an IOR Halfton the Kirby designed IIRC. Or Kirby's Laser 28 might work, altho probably not quite as nice an interior as the others on the list. THere are a few of those around here too. about a 145 rating.

Marty
A couple of corrections here Marty..

The K 30 and SJ 30 are very different boats. The SJ 30 is a IOR leftover with the typical pinched ends of that era and a masthead rig. The Kirby 30 is quite a different boat, wide transom with full quarters, frac rig and not based on any 'rule'... probably a much better behaved boat. Both are designed by Bruce Kirby but at very different times.

The Laser 28 is a good boat, well built and responsive but (despite Jeff H's prowess) a tad tender for shorthanded sailing but will reward the sailor with an exciting ride. She's designed by Bruce Farr, not Bruce K. The laser's interior, while not plush, is very practical with the snap-in fabric storage 'bins' and interior-wise she's pretty cruisable. Good friends of ours, experienced sailors, raced/cruised a Laser 28 for years but now sail a more sedate and comfy Ericson 32.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)